I 'm having both wrists doneat the same time in a few weeks.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Anyone done this before and could give me some helpful hints as to how to deal with the first few days?  For instance, wiping myself, eating and drinking?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had both of mine done at the same time last October.  I made sure I had a supply of disposable rubber gloves on hand.  My orders were not to get the area wet for 3 days.  I was able to use my fingers immediately after surgery.  After 3 days, I removed the bandages and was able to get the area wet, but not soak in water.  Thus, I used the gloves for showering and personal hygiene.  I needed some help in lifting my drinking glass (or I just used a straw)  and cutting food with a knife.  I was told not to lift too much until the stitches came out after 2 weeks.  Then I gradually worked my way into lifting more as I was able to tolerate it.  I hope this helps.  I would be glad to answer any other questions you might have.  

P.S.  I'm so glad I chose to have them both done together!  

Best of luck to you!  God Bless!!

• Posted

Thanks so much! I imagine the first 2 days are the worst, your suggestions are vey helpful. Might as well get it both done as I can't imagine taking 2 weeks off work!
    • Posted

You're welcome!  Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.  I was glad to have this forum and got some good input from others in the same situation.  
  • Posted

Hi...for the first day just eat light meal... you can wipe yourself after one day. For other things..if you are not alone at home, it should be fine.. dont lift any thing..... you will feel more comfortable after day 3 ... you can type and use your finger a little..but it is sore.

Any way take it easy for two weeks at least. Then if you do clerical job you can start( its my opinion based on my experience ).

I did on right hand but after 3 days i wished i had both hand done at the same time. For me the 2 days as i kept my hands elevated, were uncomfortable. .then much better.

Its a good idea to do both at the same time. If your job is demanding physical activity ..stay home more.

Wish you speedy recovery :-)

• Posted

Do not have both done at the same time.  I had mine done 3 years ago and both my hands are still tingling and numb 24/7  I have seen another doctor today and he said only those bedridden should only have that done.  Please believe me I have suffered so much.  God bless you
  • Posted

I had my right hand done November 10 th 2015 and my left hand done December 29th 2015. I strongly advise you to do one hand and the next about 6 to 8 weeks after the first. My reasons for this are because there was several things that I could not do and am still doing exercises and stretching to get my strength & mobility back. Some of the obstacles I faced were opening jars,milk jugs etc, peeling potatoes on Thanksgiving took me about 45 minutes, if I got down on the floor I could not push myself up with my hands, buttoning anything (my wardrobe is workout pants & t-shirts), cutting any food especially with the side of a fork -a knife is  a bit easier, grasping a glass to drink, draining anything when cooking like potatoes or pasta, doing my incision massage with my lotion on both hands  as my hand can't push very hard. These are just a few. If you have someone to help you for a few weeks you will be ok but if you don't buy workout pants & TV dinners to help you through. It's not as easy of an operation to heal from as everyone says. Also if the doctor messes up on surgery you still have one hand that is useable. 
  • Posted

let us know how that works out for you 
    • Posted

It worked out great! It's been 2 1/2 weeks now, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.  Seems like people who waited years to have surgery have a more difficult time, also I don't think people are getting much aftercare instructions or post op therapy from their physicians, which makes all the difference.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.