I'm having surgery for trigger thumb. How long is the re over time?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm having surgery next week for trigger thumb (a1 pulley/tendon). How long does it take to recover from it. I'm a massage therapist therefore I will use my hand quite intensely once I'm back at work. I don't want to damage the surgery by going back to early. Anyone with experience. Thanks. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Heidi2505

I had surgery on my ring finger, left hand, in August 2013. I was out for four full weeks from work - I work in an office so really had to be careful even when I first came back. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you. I think I was being a bit optimistic thinking 9 days was going to be enough! 
  • Posted

Are you having local or general anaesthetic?  I had trigger thumb surgery in 2008 and mine was too advanced for local anaesthetic.  I had immediate relief from my pain etc. and after 4 days, the bandage was able to be removed.  The main problem was the wound which took a couple of weeks to heal after the stitches were removed. (this may interfere with your job).  Just keep it covered  by wrapping a small bandage over it to protect it.  Its a very successful operation with a quick recovery.   Hope you get on ok. 
    • Posted

Hopefully local. Getting slightly nervous now. Thank you for your reply. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.