I'm really scared I have cancer!

Posted , 34 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hi all,

I've posted in here a couple of times not so long ago. I thought I had my anxiety under control after 11 weeks of taking fluoxetine....

But couple of weeks ago I found a lump in my throat (actually inside near my tonsil)

I've been to see a private doctor about it and she's refered me to see a consultant.

Other than this I've had so many other symptoms - I feel deaf in both my ears, I'm extremely tired ALL the time no matter how much sleep I have, I get chest pains, my stomach is bloated, I feel weak and the list goes on!

Does anyone else experience this? I'm so adamant that I have cancer and it's spreading slowly all over my body!

The doctor did say that it is very likely to be reacuring viral infections and that it's very unlikely to be cancer because of my age (23).

I know anxiety can cause alsorts of symptoms and also make you believe you have serious illnesses. Does any one else worry the same as me?

7 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If your doctors have ruled out any serious condition you should rest assured that you are OK. You are letting your fears get the better of you and this will cause your physical reactions which probably are

unrelated to any real medical condition. Do go back to your doctors or try another one just to rule out any real illness.

Sometimes the imagined illness and dangers can be worse than the real ones. When I was younger

than you I was scared of catching some fatal disease. I also feared I would die in a fire. I got over these phobias. Many years later I was diagnosed with cancer, was treated and five years later I'm

cancer free. Also when I was in my late twenties I actually was caught in a hotel fire, but got out and

suffered no harm. Neither of these potentially fatal events scared me nearly as much as the imagined

ones. It seems that when one is actually confronted with the "real thing" something kicks in to get you

through it. If you believe in God prayer will help. I wish you peace and good health.

• Posted

I think if you read the other posts on this website you will realise that many other people suffer the same kind of health anxiety that you do. I have thought I have had many, many illnessess with symptoms to match and totally convincing. However, when I have got checked out, it turns out I am right as rain (except for the anxiety). It is all in the mind, but very difficult to convince oneself of this at the time. When the mind is drenched in adrenaline it does this, and everyone's the same.

Get checked out by a doctor to reassure yourself, educate yourself about anxiety and how it works, and then determine to ignore these thoughts. Your mind is looking for something (anything) to account for your body being in an anxiety state and will go through every possibility. The truth is that there is nothing wrong with you and you will be ok. You are in an anxiety state and this is one of the things that happens when you are in one. Nobody has died from an anxiety state (it just feels like that). It also causes all kind of worrying weirdness in your body, but it is a perfectly natural process that the body goes into when it feels it is under threat. The alarm bell has gone off by mistake. There is no threat. You are totally normal and not losing your mind (despite what your mind tells you!). You are experiencing an anxiety state and that is all. If you don't dwell on it or give it attention it will slowly calm down, the body and mind will realise that it is not under threat and the anxiety state will stop. The solution is easy, but difficult to do, and you will probably need to practise many times before it will subside. be patient and be extra kind to yourself. It is a very unpleasant and uncomfortable experience but it will pass if you leave it alone. Rest, get some exercise and keep mentally occupied. Hang on in there.

• Posted

Just to say -- I'm new here and so wrote my reply far below -- thanks for this (old now, I know) post. It's really helped. Anxiety drives me, and drives me crazy. Stability is tricky. I'm feeling such support from your post. Thank you.

• Posted

Hello im same

I always think i have cancer lately i found a hard ball feeling in back of my neck when i move my head right it moves right etc went docs 2 docs said was my spine. Now i get sharp pain across my left side of head and pain in ear dont get all time when do it lasts couple seconds now ive found fluidy feeling stuff on each side near my hip and a small lympth node in my left side of neck now im really scared i have cancer as dunno why my node would pop up or this fluid stuff anyone else can help ? Xx

• Posted

Worrying about your health is not a bad thing, it shows you care, I remember every cyst lump or chest pain resulted in me going the doctors, I don't mean to sound rude here but i had a lump in the testicilar area and I went the doctors and pulled my pants right down in front of him before even greeting him, he was so shocked he even started stuttering lol I only did this because I was so anxious and nervous, turned out I  had a sweat lump or something. I consider myself a normal person, but when it comes to health, I don't mess about lol.
  • Posted

Glad to hear there are people who are suffering the same way. I have been suffering from this for the past 4 year but never knew this is a Anxiety and it is called as Health Anxiety. It all started 4 years back when I was having high Acid Reflux which caused me uneasiness in chest. I started reading symptoms in google and then it all started. I thought it is Heart Problem as it looks similar.. then I was having stomach pain so I thought I having Ulcer or Stomach cancer... then one day I saw red color in my stool.. it was due to eating Water Melon but I thought I was having Colon Cancer and then I started having a small pain upper stomach... for me it was Liver cancer... in the mean time I was constantly having slight chest pain and shortness of breath... as I was never knew it is an Anxiety and my GP was taking me seriously I was really worried.

I was started asking everyother person for reassurance and they were making fun of me.. I read so many symptoms that if anybody says that they have a something wrong I would ask them symtoms and give them suggestion of they have some serious illness. It reached peak when I had my first Panic attack 1 year ago.. I was given Amitone 10mg(Amitriptyline Hydrochloride) which is a tryclic Anti Depressent... At first I felt so good which I felt first time after so many years.... then GP missed to tell me that this tablet has to be continued so I just took on pill and stopped and I got the Bunch of Side effects from Chest Pain, Stomach Gas, Head Ache, Loss of Sex... so many... and when this side effect were gone I again got Panic attack and I took one more pill and I felt better but stopped again and those side effect came back...

So I started reading the ways to stops the Side Effect of this Pill and searcing google for side effects then I there I found one article on health Anxiety....

So I understood what I actually suffering from.

Few months back I started going for Gym again..( I stopped Gym in fear that while lifting weight If I get heart attack then I might get big injury) and felt a little better and then I started running and feeling better.... But Most of the anxeity symptoms were there so I started Pranayam(Breathing Exercise) and felt much better. I dedicated 90min just for breating excercise... and 30 min for Running... due to Time constraint I am not going to Gym still I am feeling better.

Right now I only have slight chest pain but my habbit of checking symptoms in google for minor changes in body is still there and I believe it is never going to Improve as this is the Habbit... Pill just make chemical changes but there is a Limit for medication to work.

I read it somewhere the only way to cure this is Hypnosis... Because this symtoms checking is something which is in our unconscious Mind. Till the time that Mind is cleared every medication, Excercise and Breath technique is worth less. I am planning to visit a good Hypnotist and I am searching for it...

I believe you can have a thought on that.. there is no point in taking medication and damaging our body further as forcing body for sending specific chemical is not good in longer run...I wish you all the best..

• Posted

I get paranoid when I get anxiety which is all the time that I have cancer or a tumor or even dieing chest pains dizzyness can't breathe my eye sight goes a little its very scary and your not alone I'm 24 and have had my first panic attack at 14 its hard for me and I know its hard for u I go to the drs all the time cuz I think something is wrong I feel like people r sick of me because they see me all the time the hospital the drs I know its scary but u don't have cancer and if u do then I do cuz I have the same symptoms  that u have hope u feel better 
  • Posted

Hi Charlotte, 

I myself suffer from anxiety although I have never had it formally said by a Doctor, everytime I find a lump, bump or, spot on my body I am pretty sure it is Cancer or another serious illness. 

For example I have just found a lump on my toung recently, It could be over one hundred different things including inflamed taste buds but I was very quick to look up Mouth Cancer. 

Thinking the worst can rule your life, it's good to care but get checked out and trust your health care professionals. 

Good luck with your anxiety!

• Posted

I have the same " health anxiety" as they call it every single bump pain whatever i feel i diagnose my self with terminal cancer. So far i have diagnosed myself with ovarian cancer..bone cancer.and.lymphoma. (i laugh as i just wrote that but it takes over and i become so in my head with crazy thoughts)...im terrified to go to the dr..this all started when my sister was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. About 15 yrs ago.. .im out of my mind seriously i cry n make everyone around me crazy ...its so bad my five yr old worries about me which is unacceptable. ..this fear takes over my life it sucks..its nice to see ppl that have the same health anxiety as me bc i thought inwas the only one that obsessed over this...anyway i wish you all well.
    • Posted

What symptoms did you have when you thought you had ovarian cancer? Because that is causing my anxiety to be through the roof right now. I have bloating, frequent urination, lower back pain, pain during sex, and my periods went from being the same day every month to coming on random days a month.

I had a mental break down thinking about it last night, I'm so scared.

• Posted

Hey Bethany,I'm where you're at right now. Been so terrified! Keep thinking I have ovarian cancer,cervical cancer,colon cancer! My symptoms are extremely painful bloating,a really dull achy feeling deep in my pelvic region,it just doesn't feel right. My period was 10 days long then the following period was 10 days late so of course I went into serious panic mode!

• Posted

Hi Nikki and Bethany

Please do not panic and most importantly Google!!! I went into panic mode few months back thinking I had it as well. I literally went in to my obgyn and had an US done because i was horrified. I cried through the entire thing. My symptoms were a bit different. I had terrible stabbing pains to my ovaries. It would wake me up in the middle of the night or literally stop me as I was walking . It was a nightmare . Everything was fine with the US. I ended up going to my primary and she immediately said that she thought I had IBS. Just so you know, anxiety, depression , stress any anti depressnts cause bloating and constipation. My doctor sent me for an abdominal xray. Sure enough, I was completely backed up. I did a clense (I'm sorry , tmi) and thank God since then all symptoms were gone. Please do not assume the worst. Google will make you go crazy. I wish you both the best and I'm positive all will be well. If your doctor cannot get you in soon enough, there are private practices that will schedule you immediately .

• Posted

What you're experiencing doesn't sound like cancer. It sounds like something very easy to treat, which is a urine infection. Drink up some cranberry juice girl

• Posted

UI'm going through the same thing noW

I googLe too much and it drives me crazy

Right now I'm sure on wednesday they are gonna tell me I have pancreatic cancer

I have all the symptoms except I'm not jaundice I had a ct scan with contrast done and the radiologist came out and asked me if my doctor has ordered blood tests.... Weird why would he ask me that

I'm so scared I'm only 42 with 2 kids I'm terrorfiedi do suffer with anxiety but this is a different sort it's becoming all consuming I'm looking at clinical trials and everything I feel like I'm losing it

• Posted

How are you doing now?  I have had anxiety, stomach pains, and upper back pains.  Going to GI doctor this week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.