I'm so sick of this cough!!!!

Posted , 11 users are following.

I've been every positive for these past years and just recently have begun to just want to give up. I'm just so tired of this constant horrible cough. So, so tired of these daily regiments. Since my Bronx is so bad and myTBM is giving way and it's just so hard to get this sickening mucus up and out, it just has all become so tiresome.  I can not sleep more than maybe one and half hours to 2 hours a night due to this cough.  I'd give anything to have just one day, one day to not cough or have to blow my nose and maybe six to eight hours of uninterruped sleep and maybe dream. I cannot remember the last time I actually had a dream.  Oh, well....

Does anyone else feel this way?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Mizsuzyq, I know how you feel!

I'm so sorry for your frustration. Not having sleep escalates all of my problems. I sometimes wake up terrified, afraid I'm choking. I cough up the mucus - but the panic prevents me from falling back to sleep. The lack of sleep messes up my day.

I've had bx (with colonized mssa) for 3 years now, but I'm new to this site. So I'm just now learning about how to manage it. But please hang in there mizsuzyq, and know you're not alone!!

• Posted

Shirley, 

Yes, it is frustrating to no end. Just knowing that it will not get any better, but can get worse if we do not take care of ourselves has gotten me down this year. I usually stay pretty positive and encourge others as much as I can. I think the lack of rest and sleep has really taken its toll on me.  I just need to get my head straight and move forward.  

Thank you for your reply.  

• Edited

How long have you had bronchiectasis?It comes in all sizes. It is true that there is no cure, but many people can feel much better if the can reduce their symptoms by taking good care of themselves, as you say. Long ago I was a disco duck, and I miss dancing! Well, I can dance for a VERY short period of time, then I get out of breath. 😃

I agree that we have to try and stay positive, as there are many things we can still enjoy. I love my forums.

• Posted

Oh mizsuzyq, you are down aren't you.

you are not on your own. When I'm at my worst I feel that I've hade enough too but it passes. You must go to your gp and let them know how bad it's getting for you.

Are you in the U.K? At least Spring is coming and you'll soon be able to get out into the fresh air which will make you feel better

• Posted

Yes, I think I am, Dancing Queen.  I just love your name.  I'm in the US and in the desert, too.  I really have tried to stay positive, but this year it has really gotten to me because I have chosen not to refill my cough med due to the cost. I might have to rethink this.  As you know, all our meds that we need add up quickly and when one is on social security here, it doen't go very far in that field. I just need to get my head back on thinking straight and pull out of this slump.  

Yes, Spring is right around the corner and the sunshine always makes us feel betteer.  

You take care too and thank you for your encouraging words.

• Posted

Hiya,

Try making your own Ginger Tea.. Large amount to be put into Bottles kept in the Rif.after you make it )Grate raw Ginger bring to a boil, let it sit cool & strain, save left over GInger and let that sit in water again,do the same again.

Now at least Twice a day or more, me 3 times a day, especially before bed Take boiling water make a cup of ginger tea just add a little ginger (To your taste,me I fill the botom of cup about 1 1/2" withGinger) to boiling water add honey and give a try when done and going to bed keep Honey by your bed a take a spoon full for

the cough also,takes time but works well for me.

All the Best,

Charlie

• Posted

Charlie, thanks for this information. I will try this to see if it will help. I usually get a refill on my tussionex, but its very expensive here in the states and it is not covered by our medicare insurance, so I have not had it for a very long time, but maybe I should bite the bullet and pay the price.   It is excellent in helping to calm the cough down. Its controlled by the DEA here in the US. 

Thank you again for your advice.  

• Posted

I know just how you feel.  If I had a dime for every time I have coughed, I'd be richer that Bill Gates, Donald Trump and Warren Buffet put together.

I have my highs and my low periods. Right now, I'm at my low.  My doctor had me take a new inhaler (he gave me samples), it really improved my condition to the point that I felt I am living a normal life.  BUT, when I went to fill the presciption, my Medicare Insurance won't cover it. And it's $337. a month without insurance. So I'm in the process of an appeal to the coverage rule. They don't make it easy.

I don't know what you are doing/taking now, but it's not working.  Talk to your doctor about other meds.

Lack of sleep is the worst. Try sleeping in a reclining position (I will use a pillow wedge). Try to clear as much mucus as possible before going to sleep. Take an over the counter cough med, such as Nitequil.

Sounds like you have sinus issues. You may have an ongoing sinus infection. Post nasal drip does contribute to mucus going into the lungs. You can have your doctor refer you to an Ear, Nose and Throat speicalist.

Hope you feel better soon, and you are not alone, Beth

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

Oh my gosh, I'm just hitting probably one of my lows of all time. I've been dealing with this since 2009 and I know it's probably not half as long as some folks. 

My lung doc has me keep a suppy of antibotics at all times just in case I have a flare up. My new neb med that he gave me last month was covered under part b of medicare. My pharmish worked with medicare and got it from $259. for 30 days to less than $10.00 (just filled again today).  It was walgreens.  I didn't have to do anything.  They are so good there. I my lung doc again at end of month.  I'll request the tussionex cough med, which actually calms the cough a lot. Its just so darn expensive and there is no way we can get that covered thorugh medicare, because it's a narcotic.

I have had sinus infection and sinus surgery and trying to get rid of this is like trying to get rid of that Pseudomonas aeruginosa bacteria that took the liberty of squatting in my lungs. haha

I just need to ge my head in the right place again.

Thank you so much Elizabeth 

Take care and when the sunshine, it makes us all have a shinnier attitude.  

• Posted

hi i get very down all the time i actually noted how many times a day i cough and bring up sputum, 91 times in a day it is, my throat constantly hurts, i cough up blood im up 5 times every night coughing up sputum im sick of the coughing it drives me insane, i hope you improve, im currently on tablets to help with coughing up sputum so fingers crossed

• Posted

hi , i hear you ! i find it hard to clear my chest too . often i will cough , feel the phlegm move up , but not high enough to dispell into tissue paper .

and periodically i get a dry tickly cough , which produces even less

• Edited

Mizsuzyq,

I have figured out it's the mucus that causes the cough reflex because it's in the back of our throat causing a tickle or something - and right at bedtime maybe - so not being able to sleep I got up to gargle salt water, and I've done the same with Listerine - the gold original strong stuff - it's strong enough to cut the mucus and the salt should be strong too, not weak, and at the worst I've gotten up and made a hot drink of lemon, brown sugar and hot water and make it as sweet as you like it. That works for me. You need to be able to taste the lemon so maybe 3/4" at the bottom of the glass then loads of brown sugar and fill it with water. My mother (in England) made me that only I think we had rum in it - maybe I imagined that but I think that's what she told me. So add rum if you want. It's the alcohol that cuts the phlegm and that's why Listerine works. And I often have a coughing fit driving to an evening event!! I have fits but I've learned that red wine does the same thing so that's what I do and I mix it with water as I'm not really a drinker but as long as you can taste the red wine (not white I don't think) you won't cough. You know cough candies have sugar and I think it's the brown sugar in large amounts that stops the mucus. If you have a bronchitis attack where you're really coughing 24/7 than I've discovered the drug: Tessalon Perles really works. Someone told me about it and I asked my doctor for it and I was surprised it really stopped my horrible cough. But you'd be wasting it if you used it for a cough that just happened at bed time for example. It's for coughing all day. By the way are you taking Mucinex or high amounts of Guaifenesin to loosen the mucus - if you are not then that will help you immensely. Hope this helps.

• Posted

yes, have you tried a nebulizer with sodium chloride? it helps me so so much, i used to be just as bad as you but now im alot better with the nebuliser

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.