I'm still dealing with symptoms a year after surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 24 years old and I had chiari decompression surgery almost a year & 3 months ago. I'm dealing with lack of balance, memory loss, vision impairment, & cognitive impairment (trouble with thinking). Yesterday I was reading instructions on how to make pancakes & not only did I have to re-read for the info to sink in, words that weren't in the directions appeared (the word always was not in the instructions). I'm married with a son who is about to be to & I'll forget to grab things when we head out that a normal person would grab for their child & my wife will tell me things to do & get, but either I don't understand what she's saying, I simply don't hear it, or I forget. I even forgogbbring home dinner a few times when I was working. Will I ever be normal again? I need help

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patsfan, i'm 4 years post op and I'm still having the same symptoms. we're all different in our recovery rates. It can take up to two years to feel the benefits of the operation. I myself am stuck with my symptoms, I also have Syringomyalia which has caused permenent nerve damage.
    • Posted

Well this past August made 2 years and nothing has improved. If anything my hearing and visions had dwindled a little. I have text bold in my phone so I can read and type better. Memory has gotten s little worse. My surgeon says I'm doing good and I don't have to come for routine check ups, only come if I feel problems. Lately I've been depressed and extremely sensitive. Feeling like a burden to my family because I can play around with my son and wife because I can do anything to strenuousc. I'm not sure if this will how I'll be for the rest of my life.
  • Posted

Hi patsfan.

I fully understand your worry and fustration here and can only offer the words my neurosurgeon gave me which is "time will tell". He also told me recovery after an operation can take up to 5 years. My 5 years of recovery has passed and am really gratful to say most of my symptoms have gone. However I do still have balance, vision and some speech issues. Also have bouts of deopression now and then which may relate to chari. I know it's extermely difficult for you now so again all's I can offer you is time to allow your body and brain to adjust the best waybit can. All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.