I'm Terrified and Don't want surgery.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I fractured my ankle 5 days ago. Lower fibula fracture and 2 non-displaced fractures on inside ankle. Dr. recommended surgery and I told him I want to heal naturally, but am going for a second opinion on Monday. I'm terrified as I don't want any foreign objects in my ankle and after reading all the terrible stories about complications others have had with hardware, I am leaning toward not getting surgery.

Can anyone please give me some guidance as I'm feeling a bit lost on what to do.image

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

you can't always judge your condition by others. i will share my experience. however there are many variables between your health and mine. this decision is only up to you. getting another docs opinion is a good idea. it's unclear what the doc has suggested for surgery in your case ?

go online do ur research be your own advocate to understand what all your options are. education is the best way to have confidence for a treatment in any case.

i had same fracture in my ankle and a boot was placed on the foot as well as anti inflam neds.. ice and rest. it healed ok.

• Edited

Thank you Barbara for your insight. I have 3 other hairline fractures on the other side, nondispaced that can heal but the ortho recommended a plate and screws for the fibula fracture. The fracture is on the front side and does not go through the entire fibula. I told him I did not want surgery and he did say I would have arthritis. I go for a 2nd opinion today.

Thank you again. I'm glad to hear yours healed well!

Lori

• Edited

hi , please could you let me know how it went and did you decide to have surgery or not?

i recently broke my fibula weber b fracture and it was displaced, the a and e done a closed reduction and realigned it, but when i went back for proper cast 10 days later it had displaced again and had to have another closed reduction, i was not offered surgery , i would of accepted it if i had,,, but im now 4 weeks after the break and 2 weeks with proper cast,, im in a lot of pain , i am worried that when i go back for my plaster removal in 3 weeks that it will be displaced again and i will be back at square one,

• Edited

I had ORAF surgery on bi-milleolar fractures of an ankle on Sept 14 ... screws and plate on one fracture - the one that was majored displaced the second fracture not so displaced and doc is allowing it to heal by itself after applying hard short cast

the fracture fixed with the screws has actually healed quicker than the other still NWB status since injury date of Aug 21

Good luck to u

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.