I'm trapped in my own mind!!! Feel like I'm going crazy!!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone :-) I've suffered from anxiety for 12 years (I'm 35) but the past week I've had really bad headaches anxiety (worse than usual) and I'm starting to feel panicky like I'm going to have a panic attack! I feel like I'm living in my own head and can't escape from my thoughts it's getting me depressed (I suffer from depression every now and then) ive been on citalopram for 5 years I've weaned myself downn from 20mg to 10mg because I want to try something new. I'm getting married a week Saturday which im nervous about and going abroad in a few weeks which I hate flying and scared there might be terrorist attacks!! Nothing helps me relax I do deep breathing exercises I take herbal vitamins drink camomile tea I keep myself busy gardening playing with my 5 year old and housework I go out when I have the chance too.. I've had depersonalisation for 11 years which I deal with but sometimes gets me down... I just want to see things clearer! My anxiety started because of my heart getting palpitations but I deal with it now. Any advice please would be lovely :-) take care everyone

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Firstly, are you weaning off the meds under medical supervision? Or is this something you decided to do for yourself? Because if it's the latter I think this is something you need to discuss with your GP. We all react differently where meds are concerned and he will advise you the best way forward in this matter.

You've got a lot on your plate at the moment haven't you? Getting married ( congratulations!) going abroad too when you hate flying and fear both that and the fact that we are bombared daily by news of terrorism. Major events escelate our anxiety levels so it's no wonder you aren unable to relax.

As a migraine sufferer I sympathise with your constant headaches but suspect these are due to you stresseing out. Tension headaches are common and extremely painful and this is something else your GP can help you with.

Where the next few weeks are concerned I can only say that anticipatory stress is a common mistake. You're worriyng ahead of time so to speak.

Concentrate upon today. Concentrate upon your wedding with positive thoughts. Yes you will be nervous,

All brides are nervous! But this is a happy event. A new adventure in life. Think positive thoughs about the whole day.

Where flying is concerned I do understand. I can relate to this. But fearing it in advance will only  heighten your anxiety and stress levels

Yes there is terrorism around us. There are many things around us that if we dwell upon them, will make our lives miserable. Illness, accidents, loss of those we love

We cannot live a rich and full life fearing the worst. That is no way to live. Let your mind dwell upon all the good things in your life as opsed to fearing the worst

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for your great advice Helen I know this will pass!! I have a doctor's appointment today about my headaches he knows about me weaning off my meds I've done it properly I'm just a stress head!!! If feel a bit more relaxed after reading your reply! Ty sweetie

• Posted

Well I'm no better when it comes to stress heads, lol

When I have a migraine I sometimes soak in the bath or I use one of those big hair brushes with the bobble ended bristles and brush my head to promote blood flow. I use it on the back of the head and neck especially, even though my scalp is sore as hell sad

Just remember, we have to tackle the here and now and what's going on with us today. We\can deal with tomorrow when it arrives!

Hugs from Helen xxx

• Posted

Congratulations Pamela on your forthcoming wedding. Everything Helen has said is spot on.

All the events in your life at present are very positive and you should be able to look foreward to them. They are big life events so look on them positively and its great you have your Drs appointment today.

Look forward to a new chapter in your life with your husband and child.

Its natural to have concerns about flying given what is happening in the world today, but don't let it rule you. Concentrate on the " here and now " and its worth considering participating in a Mindfulness Course in the future which can give you behavioural coping aids to augment any medication.

Have a lovely wedding day surrounded by love, family and friends

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.