I need help with my index fingernail. What treatment should I apply?

Posted , 2 users are following.

My index fingernail is somehow detached from the nailbed. And I've tried to treat it to bring it back to normal. Could you please help me on what treatment should I follow.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Here is the photo of the nail. 
  • Posted

Hi Quaffle,

I am not sure what happened but your photo has not appeared. Without it it is diffficult to say what is going on. Any history oh injury? Infection? Is the nail discoloured in any way? How and when did it all start? What do you work at, thinking of chemical exposure, cleaning products? Nail varnish, removers, gel nails. Sorry for the 20? but something has interfeared with the nailbed and it will take some detective work on your part to figure it out.

Meanwhile you should protect that nail, it is bound to be tender and is it still attached or not? If it is try to get something like gel lined finger stalls which will protect it. I found online the easiest but do dress it somehow in the interm.

Yes I speak from experience having lost nine finger nails, all grew back thankfully. Go over to Yellow Nail discussion if you wish to read my story but hopefully it will not be relevant to you.

Regards,

Helen.

• Posted

There us a medication your doctor can prescribe to reattach your nail.  It works very well.  Unfortunately, it is extremely expensive, my doctor (dermatologist) gave me a small tube as a sample, less than an ounce.  It worked almost immediately, I am happy to report.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.