I need reassurance what I'm facing isn't dangerous

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm someone that's 24, doesn't smoke, occasionally drink, and exercises. I've been feeling random pains in my chest and left arm for about two weeks. My GP and chiropractor don't think it's heart related. My chiropractor has a medical degree but I'm still scared of this being heart related. Could someone talk to me and reassure me I'm worrying to much?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, 

next time you have chest pain go to A&E. You will be checked out fully and if it is cardiac related it will be identified. It may be a musculoskeletal problem but you will feel better once you know for sure.

good luck xx

• Posted

I agree with the other reply here. I was having chest pain and I went into the er just to be sure it wasn't anything serious. First they did a ekg which was normal, then sometimes a chest xray and blood work. Also check your vitals and all that. But if you keep having these painstructions it wouldn't hurt to get it checked out. It will give you peace of mind once you know it's not heart related.

I am 21, so pretty close to your age. Doctors just told me my pain was anxiety because all tests were normal. So just get yourself checked and if it's nothing (which I'm sure it's not) then great.

My doctor told me because of my age, the pain I was experiencing would have a 1 in a million chance of being related to the heart.

• Posted

You could have costochondritis. This is an inflammation of the rib cartilage and the symptoms can be very similar to those of an actual heart attack painwise but costo does not usually come with breathlessness or nausea which can occur with a heart attack. Costo can also cause pain in the arms as well. It can be very frightening. I have suffered with this for several years. If you can reproduce the pain by pressing on the areas where it hurts it is far more likely to be costo.
  • Posted

Ask your gp to do a ECG then ask him to refer you to a cardiologist
  • Posted

Hi, I think if you're really worried, take notes and detailed account of when it happens. I would definitely see your primary care doctor again if it persists, but if you have detailed accounts of when you have the pain, how it is brought on and if you were exerting yourself etc, that will really help them to determine the cause or know what tests to do to try and uncover the issue if any exists.

I have bad anxiety and it was bringing about all the real pains and symptoms and worrying about it only made it worse, so try to take note, but not overly obsess about it because if it is just anxiety that can exacerbate the issue. If you are ok when your exerting yourself. (Ie. Walking up the stairs or working out) it is likely not heart related. If the pain is sharp rather than dull or achey, also likely not heart related. Also keep an eye on your activity level, if your easily fatigued, like you have trouble keeping your eyes open or you can't complete normal tasks that you typically have no problem with, that is when to worry. If your blood pressure and other vitals are good that's a great sign too.

• Posted

Hey,

From your history it doesnt sound like its cardiac in nature. You should get an ECG to rule out any cardiac causes. 

Also, if you are not having any other associated symtoms like sweating, dizziness, shortness of breath then it further supports the fact this is not cardiac related. Yes, there are 'silent cardiac events' but it is by far only prevalent in those with advanced diabetes/ out of control diabetes and old age. And, you do not fit into that category.

So the possible causes can include:

a) costochondritis (as previously mentioned)

b) muscle injury

c) anxiety/ psychosomatic 

d) herpez zoster virus infeciton (unlikey if you dont have any skin changes in the area you describe).

Hope this helps, but for peace of mind dont forget that ECG.

• Posted

Hi, can you attend a C R Y screening? They are a fantastic charity smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.