I need some serious advise

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have never been a good sleeper but in the last few months my sleep has just gone down through  the gutter. Back in May I was averaging over 9 hours of sleep per night but now I am lucky to make 6.

Yes I have had a double whammy of suffering from depression and my mum was diagonosed with terminal cancer back in April but particularly in the last month I am finding that I get into bed but it's well after midnight before I settle down and now waking up regularly between 6 and 7 and unable to get back to sleep..becoming a regular listener to R5 live breakfast show..

Any advise will be most welcome

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi John,

I'm wondering how old you are. It's not unusual for teenagers to need nine hours' sleep but most adults don't need that much. I realise you've been used to getting nine hours and this change must be very upsetting, but it could be that you don't really need all that.

What some people find helpful when going through a period of sleeplessness is to stay up until closer the time they find they can fall asleep. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but spending a couple of hours tossing and turning in bed can often cause you to stay awake even longer.

And waking between 6 and 7 isn't abnormally early in the general run of things - though I realise it might seem that way for you. Five or six hours' sleep may not be enough to leave you feeling on top of the world, but it won't seriously damage your health or performance, especially in the short term.

I'm not surprised that the sad news about your mum has made you even more depressed. I wonder whether you're seeing someone (GP, psychiatrist, mental health nurse etc.) about this and whether you're on any medication. Although most anti-depressants tend to make you sleepy, some types can cause wakefulness. This could be especially true after the life-changing events you're going through at the moment. If you are under medical care for your depression, you should discuss this with your practitioner.

If, on the other hand, you're not taking any medication for your pre-existing depression, you could first try asking your pharmacist whether there's something you could take. A lot of herbal remedies are effective for minor sleep problems. However, please don't combine herbal remedies with prescription meds, and stick to the recommended dose, even if you're not taking anything else. People have a tendency to think herbal remedies won't do any harm even if they don't do any good, but that's not true. They need to be approached with the same caution as prescription medications.

Finally, if you're not already under treatment for your depression, perhaps you should consider seeing your doctor and asking to be referred to a psychiatrist or similar.

I'm sorry to offer so many alternatives, but there isn't really enough information in your post to give a clear picture of your current position. I hope you'll find your way through your current terrible situation, so you can settle down to a better sleep pattern again.

• Posted

Hi Lilly

thanks for the reply. I am 49 heading fast towards 50...I know the events of the last few months have had a major contribution to my sleep pattern but I am getting very close to just over 5 hours per night. I know because I track my sleep every night it's not guess work. I get a better quality of sleep during the day sometimes.

Just been chatting to my auntie in the States about joining her in a game of on-line Scrabble...biggrin 

Seriously off to see my GP on Tuesday anyway...top of the agenda will be my sleep or lack off. Sleeping tablets are no solution ....been suggested that I should have aromatherapy which apparently I can have for free as I am a carer to my mum. Certainly something to consider...

if you have any further suggestions to help I would be most grateful.

john

• Posted

Hiya,

Whilst I know it is unusual for you, what you are getting is perfectly adequate for most people. I would love to get 5-6 hours a night! I do understand, however, that when you are used to more the change can be hard to cope with, and what you are going through isn't making things easier.

Medication is great for a few days but only really helps when you are desperate. Long term it is actually terrible for your sleep.

Have you heard of something called sleep hygiene? That can be very good at getting people back into the right sleeping patterns.

Also, it might be worth going back to your GP and adjusting your depression meds. It might be that helps too, especially as things have gotten worse recently. If the meds you are on aren't working, Mirtazapine is an antidepressant that can be very good for sleep.

I wish you the best of luck. x

• Posted

Thanks for the advise and good wishes...in fact I see my GP on Tuesday.  I am of the opinion and to a certain extent my GP agrees that my current anti-depressant is a complete of time.

never hesrd of sleep hygiene....something to look on the net whilst I am lying here doing nothing...

john

• Posted

Well if you are thinking of changing your anti-d's anyway, then Mirtazapine might be something to ask your doctor about as they often use it for insomnia.

But I do swear by sleep hygiene. It really isn't advocated enough but I do believe that may be your best bet. It is 'sleep training'... training your body when to go to sleep and when to wake up. It is the same thing, basically, you do when sleep training a baby, you just get in to a good routine. There is LOADS of advice on the internet so it is definitely worth looking up, and best of all it is free!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.