I over dosed on vitamin D tablets accidentally

Posted , 3 users are following.

I only today noticed that I've been taking more than I'm supposed to.

I thought I was meant to take the tablets 5 a day for 3 days and then one a day after, I read ther hbox nearly two weeks later and it says once a week, which means I've had way too many.

The box says 20,000 IU and now I'm freaking about Vitamin D toxicity.

Should I seek help?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I wouldn't freak out about it - it's unlikely to have done a lot of harm as long as you have stopped now.

This is an extract about vitamin D toxicity:

"Although most people take vitamin D supplements without any problems, it’s possible to take too much. This is called vitamin D toxicity. Vitamin D toxicity, where vitamin D can be harmful, usually happens if you take 40,000 IU per day for a couple of months or longer, or take a very large one-time dose.

Vitamin D is fat-soluble, which means your body has a hard time getting rid of it if you take too much. When you take large amounts of vitamin D, your liver produces too much of a chemical called 25(OH)D.

When your 25(OH)D levels are too high, this can cause high levels of calcium to develop in your blood. High blood calcium is a condition called hypercalcemia.

The symptoms of hypercalcemia include:

- feeling sick or being sick

- poor appetite or loss of appetite

- feeling very thirsty

- passing urine often

- constipation or diarrhea

- abdominal pain

- muscle weakness or pain

- bone pain

- feeling confused

- feeling tired

Very high levels of 25(OH)D can develop if you:

- take more than 10,000 IU/day (but not equal to) everyday for 3 months or more. However, vitamin D toxicity is more likely to develop if you take 40,000 IU/day everyday for 3 months or more.

- take more than 300,000 IU in a 24 hour period.

What should I do if I think I have taken too much vitamin D?

Have you taken more than 300,000 IU in the past 24 hours OR have you been taking more than 10,000 IU/day for the past three months or longer?

If yes, check to see if you have symptoms of toxicity (listed above); symptoms like feeling sick, feeling thirsty, constipation or diarrhea, poor appetite and feeling confused. If so, you may have hypercalcemia and need medical attention.

If you do not have any symptoms, you likely do not have hypercalcemia. However, you should get a blood test for 25(OH)D and make sure that you do not have a level above 150 ng/ml. ...

If no, you likely do not have hypercalcemia and are not toxic. If you are still concerned, you may choose to get a blood test to measure 25(OH)D to see what your levels are."

So you didn't really get close to the dose they have suggested, you took 300,000 IU over 3 days, still high but not too bad - and as long as you feel OK now and have stopped taking so many, you'll most likely be fine.

If you are still really worried, go to your GP. explain your mistake and ask if they think you should have your vit D level checked. Also ask to have your calcium level checked - because that is actually more important that the vit D level. If it is OK, there is little to panic about.

And next time - read the instructions and if you aren't sure - ask the pharmacist to explain again. But I imagine you aren't the first to do it and I doubt you will be the last! wink

• Posted

I shouldn't been more accurate, I was instructed to have the intial 5 a day or 3 days, but I mistook the 1 a week for 1 a day, so I've had 13 [1 a day] in the past weeks in stead of 2.

• Posted

But you feel OK? Which is what matters. Don't know if you can absorb ALL of what you took but as long as your vit D level goes up to a good level, not too low, not too high, that's what you want. You won't be making any from sunlight on skin now so the level in your body will start to go down.

• Posted

That's good then - get rather more unterparanoid wink

Worse things happen as sea as they used to say lol

• Posted

I would think you'll be OK.  I have heard women for one reason or another take extremely high doses.  And to OD on a vitamin I would think it would have to be for months.    Just read the symtoms and be aware.   And start back up next week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.