I probably have "Basal Cell Carcinoma", and I want a general moan

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had a lump on my eyelid for a while, and I recently started to get worried about it. That eye is weeping a lot, and that is getting worse.

So, today I saw my GP, and he said it is probably Basal Cell Carcinoma.

I just want a moan. I am incredibly unlucky. Well, no, I am lucky to have survived all these things, but...

In 2002, I had my first baby. Then I put on loads and loads of weight. A week after she was born, I weighed as much as I had before she was born. It turned out my kidneys were screwed up (with 'Nephrotic Syndrome'wink. We spent a week or so in hospital, and I was put on heavy duty steroids (so I couldn't breastfeed my cute little baby).

In December 2005, I was in a hospital, but I didn't really know why. My husband kept bringing in our toddler, and also a cute little baby. She was really sweet, and I would ask him who her mother was. "Pam, she is OURS. I told you that yesterday, and the day before, and..." I am still missing a couple of years of memory - I don't remember my second pregnancy, or us moving house so the little Gizmo would have a bedroom, or us going on holiday to France, in July, or going out for a bike ride (thankfully, wearing my cycling helmet - without it, I could easily have died!). I had received a Traumatic Brain Injury. I am now officially 'blind', but in practice I can see fine for mpst things (although certainly not to drive - I can see nothing to my right, unless I am actually looking over there). I also have rather dodgy balance - it's better than it was, but I am still not back to being the 'old me.

Then, in 2012, my right hip started playing up. After lots and lots of physio and things, they ended up giving me a 'Trocantheric bursectomy', which I have still not completely recovered from. And now the same problem has started on my left hip.

And now, I have probably got cancer. OK, it is not a 'bad' cancer - it is relativly simple, and can probably be removed quite easily. But still. I am very, very unhappy about this. And scared.sad

OK, moan over. Thanks for listening. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

We all need a good moan sometimes and if anyone has that right it's you. You have been through an incredibly hard few years and no one deserves the awful things that have happened to you. So you go ahead and moan! Having said all that let's look at the glass half full and not half empty. It sounds as though you have a wonderful husband and two gorgeous children. Not to mention your own home and medical treatment that has got you through everything so far. And you still have enough sight to see your lovely children grow up. The reason you're frightened is simple - it's the "C" word. The very word cancer puts the fear of God into most people, it did me. But the cancer that you may have is one of the most easily treatable so take heart. When you're feeling down look at your lovely family and know that things could have been a lot worse. x

• Posted

Hi Flumptious, You must get that seen to. I had my 5th one on my nose

done on my nose in 2015 and I never thought the outcome would be as

good as it is. It is a cancer which doesn't travel through the body but

just where it is. My Doctor told me it was just scar tissue from a

previous one but I just didn't feel right so I insisted she send me back

to the Maxillo Facial people and within 3 days I had the first of 4 ops.

It was bad but he did such a wonderful job and I am so glad I did. Good

luck, you will be fine and in won't be as intense as mine. Keep us

posted.

• Posted

Hi, I had one on my eye removed April 15, scar healed well leaving no problems.  I have had several others removed.  My GP said that they are not really cancers as they do not invade other organs, just best to remove them anyway. Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.