I rarely get hungry and I don't eat as much anymore.

Posted , 5 users are following.

So about 3 months ago I started to eat less and less than I normally would, I would eat breakfast lunch and dinner with snacks in between, now I eat a small dinner with some snacks. I don't get as hungry as a used to but when I am hungry, my body feels like it is rejecting the fool. At times I get this sharp pain in my stomach that goes on for 30 minutes to an hour. I have been told that I am developing Anorexia but I'm not sure. I'm still very young, and I want help. Some days I don't eat at all, and one time I threw up out of nowhere, and it almost felt as if I could feel my stomach acid. I am very skinny I weigh about 96 pounds and I am 5'2.5. I visited a doctor for it once when my eating was better than it is now and they told me to keep an eating log but I never did and I haven't gone back. I just want to know what is wrong with my body and why this is happening. I have also started getting many panic attacks and my anxiety has gotten really bad over the past few months and I want to know if it ties in with me not eating. I don't purposely not eat, I just am not hungry.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. I'm sorry to here about your current challenges. 

Firstly, it sounds like there could be a number of things here. I think it may be worth booking another appointment in with you GP, sometimes our bodies reject certain types of foods for all manner of reasons. You may be able to do some tests to see if there are any stomach challenges which could be contributing to your appetite deterioration.

It sounds like you are anxious about eating disorder implications and this may be a response to certain stress factors going on in your life. I find that doing a mood diary alongside a food record can help to identify certain trigger points. e.g. some people lose appetite when they are particularly stressed, and likewise it can also have the opposite affect.  It's important to acknowledge that stress is normal.

It is important to try and eat small meals regularly (if you are currently struggling with appetite). What happens is when the body is starved, everything goes into conservation mode, so you have the energy to fight and stay alive. One of the factors is the slowing down of the metabolism. Long term slowing of the metabolism can make things much harder in the long run, and like in my own case at present means that I end up needing less food to function. It may sound like this is a good thing, but having been in recovery for a while, normalising eating is one of the important parts, and therefore a slow metabolism makes it hard to do this.  

When your body is starved anxiety is one of the symptoms. We are biologically developed to respond to external dangers, and as a result anxiety puts us on high alert. Therefore your anxiety will be increased at a lower weight and with limited food.  There may of course be additional factors contributing to your anxiety and a mood diary may help to identify this better.

I would really encourage you to book an appointment with your GP firstly to chat about your dietry needs, and if you feel ready, to explore the anxiety. When confronting the latter you may find that you only share a little at the start. I would encourage you to perhaps write down what you want to say, as this can make it easier.

I hope that this helps.

Kat

• Posted

Hey, I'm actually currently going through a similar problem like you are. I might have a more definite reason though because I just recently broke up with my ex and things just crashed down on me. My sleeping and eating habit just got completely ruined by my depression. But I also haven't been eating right from the past month and half. I tried to force myself to eat but I feel nauseous kinda. Are you going through a problem or some trauma? Because that could explain A LOT. 

• Posted

This has been hapenning with me aswell (im very young, still in school) and I've been thinking i have deppression. If you feel depressed you may want to contact your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.