I survived Fat Embolism

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am Female was 22 at the time and had a car crash breaking my left Femur. because I had breakfast they could operate until 8hrs after the accident occurred in that time I became aggitated and had a very hot itchy neck. Next thing I remember was waking up 5 days later, the doctors didnt know what was happening to me but luckly my uncle who is a doctor went and read his medical journals and matched my symtoms with Fat embolism. If it had not been for his quick thinking and presistants I would not be alive today.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi.. i am male.  When I was 24 years old on the 24th October 2000 I had a motorbike RTA...admitted to Hospital  and by the evening I too....developed Fat Embolism Syndrome.

I ws discharged from hospital just before Christmas 2000!!! 

What a Christmas that was... smile

I was actually on a life support machine for 6 weeks.  The fat had travelled to lungs/heart and brain.

I am now 39 years of age and to me the RTA was as if it happened yesterday!

While being on a life support machine I experienced a 'new life' with horrible nightmares/scenarios etc...

I wonder IF anyone else has experienced these episodes?

Thank you for reading & listening.

x

• Posted

hello guest,

I can empathise with 'new life' feeling you have had. I am in process of setting up a VTE Support group which tentatively covers your experiences. I am looking for support for my contribution to the VTE Support group. It's difficult when you are on your own and have responsibilites to tend to.

However, at this moment in time, it's work I am passionate about and when ready I will upload approved ideas onto this website.

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Please keep me updated regarding your ideas with a support group.

Kind Regards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.