I think im on the autism spectrum. Help.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am trying to find a psych or some type of doctor that can help me but my insurance isnt accepted at most psych doc offices. I have taken tests to help me decipher if i should go to the doctor and each teat i take says im most likely on the spectrum and to see a doctor. My symptoms are this: i have a VERY hard time with eye contact, have trouble reading emotions, i am bothered my lights to where it can make me sick and i have acute issues with noises. I do not like to be touched and i frequently experience sensory overload. Ive faked sick for 3 christmases and at least 2 thanksgivings. I cant be around people for more than 10 minutes at a time. Im very withdrawn and havent been able to hold a job for 3 years now. I also find it too overstimulating, i panic and walk out. I find patterns in things and remember numbers eerily well. I have a routine every day that i HAVE to stick to. if something changes, i panic and cant go on. I am sensitive to certain textures and colors as well. I just want someone else who knows about the asd spectrum or maybe has it to help me out and maybe help lead me in the right direction. Thank you so much.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Yes it sounds as if you are on the spectrum. You can seek advice/support from the National Autistic Society (they also have local groups). In Leicestershire (where I am) you need 2 people to make a diagnosis (from a Psychologist, Paediatrician and a Speech therapist). I suggest you contact your G.P to get the ball rolling. Now you have acknowledged things that you find difficult (loud noises etc) it is best if you devise strategies to help yourself (rather than shutting yourself away) e.g. could you wear discrete ear pugs when you go to a supermarket? Could you do a job from your home initially e.g. starting with enveloping? Good luck. Anne

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

After years of misdiagnosed autism through the Canadian Mental Health Association our son was eventually diagnosed with autism. He is now on a disability pension.

In order for our son to see a psychiatrist (cost covered by OHIP in Canada) he had to have our family doctor refer him and then there was a wait of several months. Frustrating to be sure, however the psychiatrist prescribed medication that has brought about a wonderful improvement in his mood and quality of life.

I wish you all the best. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.