I've been depressed, at such a young age too, but how do I fix these problems?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I'm in sixth grade and I just started school this week, I'm a female just in case if you were wondering. Anyway, this summer in July my parents got a divorce. So my dad lives with my grandparents, and Me and my brothers and sister live with my mom. It's about two months later, when I go to church with my mom and she introduces me to her new "friend". His name was Clint, he really was a nice man, with a daughter named Maddie that is two years old. I really like Clint, and I think he's nice, he's token us out to dinner, and he's invited us over to his house. Now, but I started wondering, I know Clint is divorced with his ex wife. And it's pretty obvious my mom, and Clint are dating. I've seen them kissing, and stuff. But my mom has told no one she is in a relation ship with this guy, but I also want her to be happy. Now on with my dad living with my grandparents, that's not going so well either. You see my grandmother lives in a small neighborhood, it only has about eight blocks. Her house is a one story with one room for me and my sister, a room for her, a room for my grandpa. And it has a bathroom and stuff, but that's not the point, my dad had to move in here in me and my sisters room. So it's basically me and my sisters beds, and my dads blow up air mattress. But also sadly, when my dad was driving late on a Saturday night on his motorcycle, he ended up in a crash. But he survived, he broke his arm, and collarbone. On top of that, my grandmother is running out of money, because my mom planned a thing where every Wednesday me and my brothers and sister go over to her house and hang out. But that's the problem my grandma has to take care of my dad, me, my sister, my two brothers, and my grandpa. So she's running out of money everyday, that's why we literally have to get food from my moms house so we can eat. But that's not the only problem, my sister, she is in fourth grade, she started school the same as me. I don't know what the heck happened to her, you see she has changed, too a smiling, sweet, caring girl, too a stubborn, cursing, brat. My sister is only nine years old, and she has been swearing, and putting her middle finger up. I have told my parents about it, but they never seem to care. They have talked to her, but my sister still swears. It's like I'm the only person who seems to be concerned. Recently she has ran away from home, luckily we found her, and she's safe now. But I want to know why she ran away, she doesn't tell anyone her true feelings, not even I can try to ease her into telling me. She doesn't realize it, but she should be grateful for there is someone out there watching out for her. I'm one of those really shy, and sensitive types, she is the opposite. I don't understand her, what's going on inside her head? What made her change into this?  And with me, I have school, and responsibilities, specially since I'm going into middle school. A big stage in my life, with more work, and challenges. And I'm standing in the middle of all of this crap, my life is stressed, I'm stressed, confused, it feels like I have the whole world on my shoulders. I need help.

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Wow, there is a lot going on and I'm sorry you are feeling depressed. ..I'm not sure I know where to start but I do know 1 thing, you are not responsible for any of it and you can't fix it. .I think you are in the USA, I am in the UK, so I'm not sure how old you are when you go in to 6th grade there. Do you have anyone you can talk to about things? A teacher perhaps or a relative. I think your sister has gone off the rails a bit because she has probably been affected by your parents divorce and like you may be worried but doesn't know how to talk about it. . She may be too young to or some people just find it hard. Just tell her that you are ready to talk if and when she feels like it. . I don't understand why your mum is keeping her new boyfriend a secret but sometimes adults do things for reasons that you may find out when you are older, have you tried asking your mum why she is not telling anyone? I too am a worrier and always have been but mostly you will find out that most things we can't control...If you feel really bad you should see your doctor but I would recommend if it is possible to try and find some things to do to help take your mind of off the things that make you worry. Maybe some sports, maybe an online hobby. .I do hope you can start to enjoy life with less worry, you are young and shouldn't have to worry, take care xx
    • Posted

Thank you for you're response, and in the USA in sixth grade ages are 11 or 12. And thank you for letting me realize, I'm  definitely not   Responsible  For anything that has happened, and and can't fix these problems either. And my sister may be effected by the divorce for such things she has done, but she started doing all that stuff before the divorce happened. And this weekend I went on vacation, and I found out my mom wasn't trying to hide the fact that she has a new boyfriend, she just didn't end up telling anyone. But they both made it very obvious they are dating, so I guess it was a misunderstanding. But anyway, thank you for taking time to give me some advice.
  • Posted

Oh, sweetheart, My parents were divorced when I was 12. I am 65 now. The bottom line is to surrender to changes gracefully if you can. This will reduce future emotional baggage that you will not want or need in order to have a happy life. Do not try to figure everthing out. You are older than your sister and more mature......if I can use that word. Talk to your  sister. She has alot of anger right now. Share feelings and accept things and do not let that anger turn to frustration.....anger turned inward become unresolved frustrationj. It is not perfect honey but it is life. I hate it that you will have to grow up faster than usual. You deserve more but do not be a victim. Keep God in your heart........it's the only answer.
    • Posted

I  appreciate the reply, I know life isn't always just sunshine and rainbows, but it can be tough and hard to  experience. I just have to know that I can't solve these problems, I just need to talk to someone to feel a little more better, I'll try not to be the victim, but for now I just need some space, again thank you for  responding.
  • Posted

My heart goes out to you I was 13 when my parents divorced I am 46 now yet can still remember the pain and chaos of my family breaking apart. Then my Mum thought oh what a good idea, we will move 250 miles away from my Dad and siblings. I thought that I would never get over being seperated from the rest of my family.  I too was starting a new school and felt just so overwhelmed by all of it.  Adults do the most strangest of things in the realms of a divorce...I want you to remember that none of this is your fault, you are not to blame for any of this. This is just a very sad part of life, you have your whole future ahead of you..Things will get better over time, as much as you want it to be better now. Your Sister is not your responsibility it is down to your parents to address her understandable issues, she too is confused but she is also too young to express how she feels other than to behave how she is.  Do try and stay in contact with your Dad and Grandparents as they could turn out to be more supportive as time goes on. Again you are not responsible for adult decisions im sure the situation with your Dad and Grandparents will resolve...You probably won,t believe me at this moment in time but " life will get better " When you return to school make enquiries regarding the pastoral care that they can offer.  Most schools either have a full time student support service or at the least bring in outsiide sources to help students with all kinds of issues confidentially. Yep you feel like you are standing in the middle of a pile of crap, thats because you are trying to fix everything, some things sweetheart cannot be fixed but we can learn to adapt to all that is going on..My heart breaks for you..Try and concentrate on looking after you, get as much support as possible. There a lots of people on here that can offer support and I can assure you someone will always be around on here that can offer support and help carry the weight that you are carrying alone...I wish you the happiness that you deserve, but please ask for help...Take care jx
    • Posted

Thank you for you're  response, I just need to know life will get better. It's not always perfect, I just need to get through tough times, and you do have a good point about my sister being at that age where she can't exactly tell people how she feels. I rember when I was her age, fourth grade was probably one of the most worst years of my life, I thought that was just me, but maybe it happens to more people. I just need to let my sister get some space, and maybe in the future she'll come around, but anyway thank you for replying.
    • Posted

Your welcome sweetheart one thing you can be sure of there will always be someone around on here to listen...jx
  • Posted

You are NOT responsible for anything or anyone swetheart. It seems to me that you are right in the middle of all this crap and no-one is bothering to check that you are coping OK. I have been in this exact same scenario as a teenager and it has caused major issues throughout my life (I am now 52). PLEASE go to someone (an adult) you trust in your school and/or church and ask for help. You are not telling tales or letting anyone down, you need support and now. I am sure your school will have helped other kids in similar situations, you are not alone. I know it is hard to ask for help, hard to tell someone what is going on but I PROMISE you, the moment you share this you will start to feel better. Good luck, remember don't let THEIR sh*t spoil your youth and potential xxxx
    • Posted

Don't worry I'm planning on talking to someone, and I think I should just talk to my mom. If you would ever know that she will actually listen to my  concerns, but she can't figure out my feeling unless I tell her.  So thank you for you're response.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.