I've been diagnosed with a pilonidal sinus, but how did it get this bad?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I went to the doctor's yesterday and it actually turns out what I thought was a haemorrhoid was actually a sinus, it has now abscessed and I had to get it packed which was excruciatingly painful, I was nearly in tears I was in that much pain and my mum keeps telling me it's because I didn't use my cream for my anal fissure or ate fibre, most likely it was infected hair, the nurse even removed the hair herself which she had to come off or else it would have been a lot worse, which come to think of it, I think it was always a pilondial sinus as it had been abscessed for a few months, the nurse said it had popped and pus was leaking out of it so that is a good thing, I have been prescribed Flucloxacillin which I have to take every day, 4 times a day from now on until I run out, Daktacort for my inflamed skin on my bum, as well as Proctosedyl Ointment for the pilonidal sinus and finally laxatives to make my bowels regular as I have been constipated quite a lot lately. I have to go back on Thursday and see the nurse again to see whether she needs to pack it again and check to see if it's OK and not infected, I hope this treatment works.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jonothan.

Firstly I'm sorry to hear you have a sinus, my daughter has one and has had now for over a year, my one suggestion would be to take some pain relief about half an hour before you go to see the nurse, my daughter was able to get oramorph, it is morphine based but helped significantly with packing. My daughter also had the wound excised, it was operated on to remove any infected skin inside. She also for a short time was treated using a vacuum pump. I hope I am not rambling on, I'm just trying to let you know all the possibilities for you as we had very little information given to us! I hope you heal quickly as it sounds as though it was caught early unlike my daughters.

All the best with your treatment.

Jenny. 

X

• Posted

Thank you Jenny for your comment, I hope your daughter is recovering well from her surgery, but for me getting the abscess packed is so excruciatingly painful, I nearly cried today as this was the worst pain I have ever felt, is it supposed to be that painful? It felt like someone was pushing a massive needle four times in and out my bottom, when I thought the nurse was finished packing, nope, she puts in more and each packing she put in was far worse than the last. I cannot even sit down as it is so painful and I can't even sleep properly without feeling pain from it, I'd rather have the surgery to remove the abscess than go through packing again. I have tried painkillers and antibiotics, to me they're not making a difference, each day I go, it's pain, pain and more pain from getting the packing done.

• Posted

I had a sitz bath tonight and sat in the bath for 20-30 minutes and to be quite honest that helped a hell of a lot, I hardly feel any pain from my sinus now, I'm going back to the doctor's tomorrow as I went to see the nurse again today, she packed it very loosely as I was in severe pain so she didn't do anything else to it, she just told me to come back tomorrow and she'll look at it then, I think she'll be pleased to hear that I'm not in as much pain now.

• Posted

The abscess has gotten worse now, the nurse that I had on Tuesday packed it too tightly and now it's bleeding again, the nurse I had yesterday said to me it was bleeding again and I said to her that the nurse I had the previous day packed it too tightly, she was worried about that and said it should have never have been packed that tight, I'm going back tomorrow and I hope I don't get the same nurse I had on Tuesday or I will be making a complaint.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.