I've been diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus and I'm curious

Posted , 3 users are following.

The diagnosis came to me via electronic means. The doctor also notified me electronically that he has ordered an MRI of the abdomen, liver and pancreas. Why liver and pancreas? I'm assuming he's looking for cancer. Are liver and pancreas cancers somehow related to cancer of the esophagus?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Did the consultant mention in the report that you had dysplasia? If so, was it high grade or low grade?
    • Posted

The electronic report said that the biopsy of the tissue taken during the upper endoscopy confirmed Barrett's Esophagus, that I was to continue taking medications as prescribed and have the procedure repeated in three years. There was no mention of dysplasia. I have not yet talked face to face to my gastroentoroligist (sp?) so I suppose he might mention it if it exists. I was simply confused about the order for an MRI of the abdomen, liver and pancreas. The response from Barrett's gave me some perspective on that.

Thanks for your response.

• Posted

What did your report say when you received your diagnosis of Barrett's?

I'm guessing you're in USA? From cadaver studies a few years back, it was discovered 1 in 70 had Barrett's (though didn't die of it) at time of death so it is a lot more common than people realise. The majority of those with it don't know.

It is a permanent change to the cells lining the oesophagus from squamous to columnar but the columnar cells have the ability to mutate through dysplasia to oesophageal cancer - but the chnaces are still very small. IN US, progression of Non-Dysplastic Barrett's Esophagus is about 0.2% p.a.

Those diagnosed with Barrett's are the lucky ones who have it and know they have it. You will be advised to take acid suppressant medication to reduce risks of further development of Barrett's and can have regular surveillance every few years to ensure dysplastic changes haven't occured. If dysplasia is found, you can have it removed with ablation.

All digestive organs are linked. I don't know why your doctor wants MRI of the other organs as I don't know your medical history nor your presentation but he is probably just wanting an overall health check on your digestion.

Read more by finding DownWithAcid org uk where you'll find a chapter on Barrett's Oesophagus listed on the Contents (home) page below the Combinations and Complications main heading.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.