I've been having a twitching right eye for a month now.

Posted , 7 users are following.

The muscles in the right side of my face get so stiff resulting in my right eye shutting and mouth moving to the right. Could this be Hemifacial spasm? I'm 25 ,studing and afraid to go to campus

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You should see a Doctor.

In my case my HFS started with a small twich on my lower left side of my left eye (I think that HFS are comonly on the left side) then it progressed slowly to the upper lid, left cheek and eventually my lips and neck muscles under my chin and that process was over at least a year. I had it for almost 5 years before surgery. In my expirience it didnt start all at once, the first twich under my eye was not noticeble but I felt it,also it usually starts after age 40, thats why I sugest you see a medical professional

• Posted

Hi Carmen, How long did the eye twitching last before it moved to other parts of your face? Did the eye twitching ever go dormant for a period of time after it started? Or it never stopped once it started?

• Posted

Hi Brenda61, so sorry you're having these problems.  This doesn't sound like a typical start to HFS - HFS normally starts with a flicker/twitch under one eye, and then it can spread downwards to the cheek and mouth.  However, there are atypical presentations of HFS and so it's worth keeping an open mind at this early stage.

My best advice would be to try to see a neurologist and, if possible get an MRI scan.  There are a number of facial movement disorders that could vaguely fit your description (Meige Syndrome, Dystonia etc), or it could be something like Bell's Palsy which is something that gets better (with help from steroids).  Try not to panic - a diagnosis and/or simply ruling out one thing or another is the way to go.  It might just get better of its own accord - hope so.

Please don't hide away, you are still you!   All best wishes.  Roseann

• Posted

Hi Brenda,I'm Mark from Singapore.I have left facial hemispasm since 2012,I know how you feel now.I have not recovered from it till now,but at least it's not worsening.I have tried accupuncture initially for a full 7 days,it helps but the thing came back after I went back to do some tough job carrying heavy stuff.What I can advice you is to look out for the diet we are having...eg..what trigger the spasm to get worse.For me,I noticed chicken and duck meat,dairy products,icy drinks and fried food will trigger the spasm to get worse.I have tried Botox injections and it doesn't work at all to me.Currently I have learnt accupuncture and I am doing it myself,at least to save cost and it calm down the nerves on my face.I heard a lot of people recovered fully from MVD surgery and I think that is the last option.Hope you get well soon.

• Posted

Brenda, your symptoms are exactly how mine were after 5 years of struggling thru HFS. Every person is wired differently, so your symptoms could develop at different speeds also. My HFS was on the right side of my face, and was treated in the end by the microvascular decompression surgery, which was wildly successful! The only real person that can tell you what is going on 100% is your neurologist. Even then they miss things. Good luck to you!
    • Posted

Ok, I understand Erin, so how frequent did the symptoms occur.
    • Posted

With mine? At the end they never stopped, just varied in severity depending on how fast my heart was pumping. In the beginning it was mostly noticable just to myself, unless i pointed it out. But the twitching progressed from just my right eye to encompass the entire right side of my face. So much so that my speech distorted due the twitch pulling so hard at the right side of my mouth. Woke me up all the time, my face & entire body was exhausted. The MVD surgery was life changing!

• Posted

hi brenda, your symptoms are slightly different to hfs, i would see a neurologist for confirmation. normally it started off with twitches under the eye then the mouth & half of the face.

i had mine for nearly 2 years now, it’s usually triggered when i’m really tired, lifting heavy weights or positioning myself in a wrong position. at present, i’ve seemed to able overcome the twitches by repositioning & relaxing my face instead of trying to stop it, if that makes sense. i’m now trying to live with it & find a way to keep it in control, hope you get better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.