I've been menstrating for four weeks what should i do

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello friend please I really need an advice i was diagnoce of PCOS a year ago but before the I've been TTC but was unable to. Am currently on metformin 500mg, my period stop for like three months i did pregnancy test its shows negative, Then my period start, at first two weeks it was spoting, then for the last two weeks its been flowing very heavy, please i want to know if anybody has experience, is it normal for PCOS or am i miscarriaging .

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey Percy. I am also on 500 mg of Metformin. I do not get my period regularly, but I currently am in a similar situation as you. I spotted for about a week, then I had my period heavy for a week, and I am spotting now about a week and a half after ending my period. So yes, irregular periods and spotting are normal with PCOS. But- I am not sexually active or trying to convieve so that is something I have not in common with you, as there is no possibility of me miscarrying. 
  • Posted

If you have not taken any medications for hormone balancing you could have extra thick lining. About 6 months ago I started having 45 day long periods that would be spitting for days then heavy for days at a time. My obgyn did an ultrasound and says that my uterus is full of lining and it has no where else to go.

This has to do with the fact that with PCOS you have normal estrogen which builds and thickens the lining, and irregular progesterone which thins the lining to prepare for your period to cleanse out. If the imbalance goes untreated for many years then the lining builds so thick. This may be what is causing your long periods.

My doctor is putting me on the pill and the mirena IUD for 6-8 months to clean out all of the old lining. Then I will be starting an ovulating medication to try to conceive.

I was sure that I was having a misscarriage as well because I experienced what you have almost to a tea. But I never was never pregnant I found out after urine test and ultrasound comfirmes when checking for cycsts.

It is still possible it is a misscarriage so you should take a pregnancy test and see your obgyn if you are concerned about this. Also if you are bleeding heavy for many days keep up with iron heavy foods and/or iron suplements if necessary.

Hope this helps, never give up

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.