I've got to Come Up With Something to Help

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 20 years old and I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 3 months ago. Currently, I am taking 25 mg of Topimax a day and then 3-6 ibprofen which doesn't even touch the pain most days. I also see a chiropractor once every 2-3 weeks. When I go, my neck is out, my back is out in 3 places, both hips are out, my knee caps are out. I am in so much pain most days that I can barely move or get up to do anything for that matter. All the doctors have told me is exercise, stretching, exercise will help, but how am I supposed to "exercise" when I can barely move most days? I have been considering a manual wheelchair to help me get around better, but i'm afraid that others would think that i would be "faking it," because I can walk.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Besides the fibro, I suffer from PTSD, anxiety, depression, tension migraines, vertigo episodes, and severe balance issues. Like yesterday I was walking through basic snow in boots and almost fell 6 times! This NEVER used to be an issue before. I get a lot of chronic fatigue, memory loss, and exhaustion from the fibro.
  • Posted

Hi, the problem with this illness is that it can't be seen and sometimes you just want somebody to feel  your pain just for 10mins. It effects every thing that you used to do. I long for the day that I could jump out of bed get everything done in the house and then go and have a wander around my local town which is Cardiff .   I struggle just to go for a short walk and doing a supermarket shop is out of the question.In saying that I think we have to take a day at a time I know that is easier said than done.  Yesterday my hairdresser,  who is a friend, came to do my hair and Mum  came for lunch.  I pottered around the garden and did some housework.  Then the legs started yesterday evening all I wanted to do was to to bed and hopefully get some sleep.  Lets just say today I will be glad to see the back of it.

People shouldn't judge others if a wheel chair will help you live a more active life you go for it.   Use it on those days when you are struggling it's like a crutch there if you need it.  We all need a crutch now and then whether it be in the form of a friend or an aide that's fine.

You take care x

• Posted

God, I hope it get's better sometime it's just that when your feeling really rough you don't see an end to it.
  • Posted

Hi,

Sorry to hear your going through so much. In regards to excercise have a look at an aero pilates machine, it enables you to excercise lying down at a very slow pace, its a combination of strengthening and stretching and is designed to keep both sides doing the same amount of strength building to keep balance. They are expensive but you can get cheap used ones on ebay. The only caveat is they are big, they do fold up but they are quite heavy so you need room really to leave it out unless you have a strong man around.

Also you should speak to your drs and let them know niether drug is helping you and you need something added or something different.

Have you been checked for MS, have you had recent blood tests for thyroid, vitamins etc? Dont let drs fob every new symptom off as fibro which they like to do. 

Also if you feel you need a wheelchair then get one, stuff what others think. 

• Posted

I haven't been checked for MS. How is that diagnosed? I've had tons of bloodwork done; full bloodwork for lupus, thyroid, etc... and it all came back normal. we;ve done this a few times over the past two years or so. Problems with meds is that I am SO sensitive to them. Like even my psychiatrist has had a heck of a time getting me on the right combo that I didn;t have a horrible reaction to. We tried adding a little more of the Topimax, but it made me sleep all the time and my parents would get p*ssed at me for sleeping all the time even though i can't help it. I currently live with my parents and I have 3 dogs, 1 in training to be my service dog to help me. So i really can't be sleeping all the time if you know what i mean. I've mentioned using a wheelchair to help to my parents, but their response was this "You don't need a wheelchair! You can walk, you just need to exercise!" like yes, i do agree that exercise does help to some extent but when you can barely move at all, not fun! And I'm supossed to be going off to dog training school from JUly 2016- December 2016, so I really need to figure something out. My dad HATES it when I go to the chiropractor even though it helps me a lot to go there. It's a hard situation to be in. A neurologist diagnosed my fibro. but i'm starting to wonder if it's something else too.
    • Posted

The test for MS is a brain MRI and lumbar puncture plus blood work, reflex tests etc.

What about gluten, have you tried cutting it out? Some people find it helps. How is your diet in general?

You could be hypermobile if things go out all the time. I'm a firm believer that the chiropractor pushed my symptoms beyond a point of no control so I will never see one again.

Your could well need some strengthening excercises also but I understand how hard it is to do, it took me 6yrs of pain before I started doing any excercise and it was just the Pilates reformer I did. I think it helps but it's not a magic cure and it it takes time to build some strength up but that's the good thing as it means you can go at your own pace and gradually build up. It was designed as a physio therapy device for dancers.

I tried topomax and it made me so depressed, I couldn't see the point in anything. I'm also sensitive to meds as I think most people with fibro are.

Is there anything you notice that helps? Temperature, foods, relaxation etc? I think the key is to really go mad on the things that do help to at least feel like we have some control.

I'm suprised your parents aren't more sympathetic as they knew you pre fibro so surely they know that this isn't you. I was super active pre this not with excercise but always in high speed rushing around so I find it strange when people who know that aren't very believing of how you feel.

Good luck with the dog training, what breed is he/she, I'm trying to train my rescue dog at the moment just to not try and kill everyone whilst she's on the lead!

• Posted

I did try the gluten free diet for a while, but it was too difficult, because my parents still had all foods with gluten. Plus it was EXTREMELY expensive. As for things that help, laying down in a dark quiet room and sleeping is really the only thing i have found so far. My service dog in training is a purebred German Shepherd from DDR/ Czech lines. Lots of drive, so she does keep me pretty active. My mom is more sympethetic than my dad is, but it is still hard. It's like walking on eggshells around them. Say the wrong thing and they explode about how lazy i am and how i need to get a job, etc... There is no possible way i can even think about working at the moment. Stairs are a huge struggle for me, because they cause my kneecaps to pop in and out of place constantly, but we also live in a 2 level house where the kitchen is upstairs. Unfortunally, I lay down a lot, because that is the only time the pain is gone or semi-controled. That's why I was thinking maybe a wheelchair would help me to be more mobile at home especially. I do as much as i can, but most days, that's barely anything and it feels like i've run a mile.
    • Posted

Sadly there is no cure or actual Pain medication that will take all Fibro Pain and symptoms away, and that's medical fact, to date.

One just has to try and modify ones daily duties, exercise gently eg: the gentle Pilate's range, or go to a heated pool and float, stretch and gentle walk or complete some minor aqua arobics moves in the water.  It takes time to adjust to exercising if you've not done any for awhile.  It can cause flares, but as soon as your able get back on board with it again and continue in small increments..  without over doing it, as Fibro doesn not like exercise or repetitive motions especiallhy with weight involved, an gravity!!

Maybe you should give your parents some of these Threads that are posted up in this web page/site associated to Fibro, let them read what other suffers have to say.   I think your dad maybe a lot ignorant on the subject, much like a lot of other folk.

It is a hidden disease and it's also vary variable in any hour of the day or night, week to months and Years.  It can be Chronic and also Progressive for some folk, not all folk.  I wonder about this aspect of Fibro as folk who have succumb to Fibro have done so due to varying reasons.   Mine was due to repetitive direct trauma to my head/neck and spine.  Some other folk are the same, or from Mental/emotional trauma/abuse, some other folk it can stem from surgery or broken limb/s.  An illness with fever can bring it on apparently???  BUT there is also the details that these folk have in common before morphing into the condition/disease.  'Is it an inherited condition that is triggered by the above described trauma's???   There have been medical statements made that it is??   OR it runs in clusters in families, it comes out only when a person experiences a Trauma/Auto immune issue/s etc..  

It will eventually be nailed, sadly probably not in my life time.

Chronic Fatigue is HUGE, as is Chronic Pain with Fibro..  Muscles and ligments feel like rock, and feel like they are tearing off the bones.  I describe it like Riggamortis, hence our joints become involved.  Clicks/Cracks/Munching and painful to touch, aching verterbrae, disc's, and joints, Painful aching..   Dizziness, loss of coordination and concentration, migrains and headaches....  swelling of limbs, body temperature/thermostate haywire, insomnia, Tinnitus, eyesight issues (due to eye muscles and body temps, pain etc)  

Sunlight sensitivity to eyes and skin. Sounds, Brain processing is compromised and we struggle at times with the overloading in the brain and it simply 'whacks us out'...   Brain Fog/confusion. And also the odd turns/fits.  Restless Legs is very common, and I have issues similar but it affects my whole body, and I am chronic when I don't have a minimal dose of Tramadol for my spine.  As Tramadol works in the Spinal cord outwards.  It does nothing for my periferal pain, but helps settle my spinal cord/nerves in my neck/neck to thoracic junction, thoracic, and neck up into my head, and the back left side of my head.  

Some folk have IBS issues, I struggle with constipation more.  

There is endless things we have to deal with on any day, some with and some without warning signals...  

Over all Fibro is Painful, and it causes chronic Fatigue AND it's very debilitating...   

Ask your parents to read some of our posts....  They need to read of some history of others, and their personal journeys, experiences good and bad.  The need to KNOW ,,,, There is no Proven Medical Cure yet, there is NO Proven Long Term Pain Killers to kill our pain, stiffness, and aches, Nor meds to stop our CFS....  period!

• Posted

Hi Beth, sounds to me a bit like it could be Hypermobility Syndrome, or Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome type 3. I suggest you google these and have a read of the symptoms. Good luck. x
  • Posted

Hi...

I am also 20 years old with fibromyalgia and I can understand your situation. 

I will pre-warn you about the tablets. Im currently on Gabapentin, Amitritlyine and Dihydrocodeine. They help with the pain but I am highly addicted to them. When your on tablets, try and take a break from them. 1. if you take them all the time when you don't have them you will have withdrawal syptoms and there even wore that the pain. 2. The more you have them, the more your body gets used to them and they stop working, therefore you have to tale stronger medication for it to help with the pain. I'm currently at the 5 year mark for medication when it has only been a year and a half. I can't have anymore tablets.

You shouldn't care about what others thing, youmust think about yourself. Another down side to fibromyalgia is that it makes you feel consious about whats others think and depressed as you feel like you've gone from being a health teenager to classed as 'disabled'.. You need to fight this now before it gets worse and its harder to deal with. 

I also ahve other issues regarding my nerves. I've damaged some of my nerves when crashing a go-kart on holiday. So majority of my medication is for the nerve pain. 

If a wheel chair helps you, don't give a crap about what others think. If thats what you need for you to be able to live you life then thats whay you should do.. I know its easier said than done but you've got to see the lights at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunatly me and you and all the other fibromyalgia sufferes are stuck with this for life so we have to learn to cope with it. 

I currently work 16 hours a week, I used to attend college 3 days a week but fibromyalgia has got the better of me and now I've had to give it up. Exercise will help, it will be painful but in the long run it helps. Staying still and doing nothing will not help, it will make you worse. Its like your body is seizing up. I'm not saying do loads of exerice but some will help, and you have to do it with in your boudries. I know your in pain and i feel so sorry for you, I really wish I could help you. 

I've also found that streches help, but only doing a little and building it up within your comfort zone. Hot baths with essential olis help too.. A good deit helps as well, eating lots of fruit and veg. 

If the tablets are not working or helping you with the pain, Go back to your doctor and keep nagging at them as say you want help with medication, just please do be careful and I don't want you to get a ddicted to them. They will ruin your life and It's so hard and horrible to get off them. Make sure you take breaks. 

You sound like your in a lot of pain, you need to find stuff that works for you and keep fighting. Don't let this illness get the better of you. 20 is a young age for people liek us to get this, try not to let it control you life. 

Do some research and watch some youtube videos on how other people have coped with it. 

Don't worry about what others think. If you need a manual wheelchair then you do. F**k the haters.. You do whats best for you. 

Im always here if you need a chat. I would say its nice to speak to someone of thesame age who understands this illness and how it affects you but its far from that. I also 'had' friends who said i was faking it, but you will soon realise the people that truly matter and will stand by you no matter what. those people are no longer my friends. But theres one thing I have benefitted from this illness, is that i don't give a dam what others think and im most important just like you are..

Chin up chicken, I'm always here if you want a chat or some advice or evens some tips on what can help you. If i find anything new I will let you know. 

Take care 

Kayleigh 

• Posted

Well said Kayleigh60814

I'm a lot older, but I once had great physical fitness and stamina before being hit with Fibromyalgia.   I also began feeling quilty and my self esteem and confidence took a big whack!!   

I have also learnt the hard lessons re 'Medications'....  Painkillers.  For me, they only partially worked some days for half an hour or an hour a day.  SADLY my immune system would crash, body would become septic basically.  I also learnt that high doses were of no benefit at all and infact made my body stiffness 'worse'...  So, I weened myself down to very low doses, found that if I only take normal doses when desperate to ease back the worst of a migrain etc I am better off in that instant to take the pain meds.   

I refuse to become a Tablet/medication guinne pig given the fact that there is NO actual long term pain killer/s.  And one risks the problems as you Kayleigh have mentioned.

I also now have to use an Elbow crutch/s some days, and other days I really wish I had an electric wheel chair!!  I cannot afford one.  I wouldn't rely on one all the time as we DO NEED to keep mobile, even when in pain.  Flareups of course are a different kettle of fish...

• Posted

Thank you Kayleigh, it's nice to hear from someone around the same age who has experience with this illness. My biggest problem when it comes to trying medications is that I am extremely sensitive to them, and i am also on psychiatric medication to help control my anxiety, depression, PTSD, Bi-polar disorder, and mood stabilization. Right now, I tried lyrica, which counter reacted with my psych meds. I was so dizzy and hallucinating. it was really really bad! Right now they have me on Topiramate 25 mg once a day. I've had no reaction to it, but when we tried to up the dosage by half a tablet more, i was sleeping all day long, which my parents would get p*ssed at me.

​But here's the real thing; I'm going off to dog training school from July through December of this year. My school days will be from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. I need to find some way to be able to get through these long school days 5 days a week.

• Posted

I completely agree! Unfortunally, I am getting flare ups weekly that last 3-4 days on average. Like on Saturday, I went to the mall with some other service dog teams. We were only there maybe three hours max. Afterwards, I came home, and crashed until 12:30 a.m. since then, i've been having a HUGE flare up. Just such a little outing as that should NOT be causing me this much pain and fatigue.
  • Posted

Ack, topomax is awful but when I was perscribed it, it wasn't for the fibro it was for migraines I was having and it made me dizzy all the time. Why are you on it? Is it for a specific symptom you didn't mention? If not, I would insist your doctor take you off that immediatly and try something different. It really fatigues you as well so it's making things more difficult if there isn't a specific reason for it.

Doctors are not sympathetic to our plight with that kind of advice but I have to say that it is correct in spirit. I have to work really hard to keep my body used to activity (even though it's not that hard because of my job to keep active) and not give in too much to pain because every time I do, it's so much more difficult to teach my body how to do it again.

The other thing I will say is if you honestly can't walk and need a manual wheelchair than the last thing you need to be concerned about is what others think. Are they walking for you? No. Are they lifting for you? No. Are they experiencing your pain? No. I do understand that because you are so young, that will be a factor in how people view the situation and some days you won't need it and others you will but the fact is that you have a disease that will never be cured, only managed, and the people that don't take that well shouldn't be in your life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.