I’ve had enlarged obstructive turbinates since June 2019, what could be causing it?

Posted , 6 users are following.

imageI've had severe turbinate obstruction for almost a year . It's causing bad insomnia, lethargy, and headaches. I've tried flonase and it worked only for a week. Right now I'm using saline rinses and they help about 30% but not enough . The ENT recommended turbinate reduction but I don't want to risk ENS . I also saw a pulmonary doctor. I did an overnight sleep test and asthma test. The results came back that I don't have asthma and that I don't have true sleep apnea. He said I only had some disruption in airflow in my nose and that a turbinate reduction would most likely solve my problems. I'm going to see an allergist soon. However, I just wanted to hear if anyone has experienced sudden onset prolonged swollen turbinates and found the cause whether it be conventional or unconventional. It'd just help me try out all the possibilities if I don't get answers through conventional means. Nothing changed in my diet and nothing noticeable changed in my environment .

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

hi, around 7 months ago i got a bad sinus infection ENT and doctors say everything is fine but i havr mild deviated septum but when i look up mu nose i can see my septum is so close to my turbunates on right side. i was due a scan but been moved to may. i constantly feel like theres pressure down my bridge and can feel mucus in but when i blow nothing, i use saline and neti pot morning and night but it gets so bad sonetimes feels heavy and like my nose could snap haha obviously isnt just imflammation, mucus constantly grts stuck in crevises in my nose - do you have these symptom?

• Posted

hey robyn,

Your symptoms sound unfortunate . I've never had a sinus infection to my knowledge. I do get a lot of post nasal drip at night and a little during the day. My nose is sensitive to temperature and drips as soon as it gets the slightest bit cold. Saline rinses do seem to make my nose feel a little less congested . Have you gotten a CT scan?

If your symptoms are caused by your septum than surgery shouldn't be risky for you as longs as they don't touch your turbinates.

• Posted

i had very similar issues. i couldnt find the cause other than do my best to avoid triggers (although it was swelling and the lethargy was almost always present) unless it was late night and the air was real fresh. i went for the turbinate surgery not knowing of ens and i think it may have destroyed me. do not go for that operation UNTIL you find the cause of your swelling. In my opinion i think ENS is used from poor recovery due to the nose constantly trying to swell/ protect itself after the op which causes a lot of damadge to sensory nerves. If the Turbinates were not important we both wouldnt experience the lethargy. I have no known allergy. I did have a lot of dental treatment prior to the inflammation and im very curious as to whether you did? im only 23. i thought my body would heal ok after the surgery. Again dont even consider that surgery unless you find the cause of swelling and can get it to go away.

• Posted

Have you tried dehumidifiers or air purifiers? My sister has nose issues as well and said that an air purifier made a very noticeable difference. I am 24 years old and I notice these issues started occurring after I moved from the east to west coast. However, when I visit back home my symptoms don't subside so maybe it's not the environment but what I am eating. I can't wait for my allergy test.

I started invisalign the year prior in 2018 and got my retainers in 2019 . I myself was wondering if any oral issues could cause nose issues. I have a painless mass on the inside of my cheek that I'm getting it checked out Thursday.

So do you still have ENS symptoms?

• Posted

i have tried all sorts of dehumidifiers/ air con and fans etc. my nose reacts different to them and i guess they provide minor ease . The cool air with a breeze helps calm my nose although the issue still persists. I have ENS symptoms but i wont mention them. It makes it more confusing. i cannot think of anything which could be causing my swelling. whatever is going on in my nose is making me very unwell, even before the surgery. when i take a hot or warm shower it makes me very lethargic and stuffy. are you the same? do all you can to FIND the cause if its effecting your life. if you want to speak on facebook my name is gabriel hewitt. i live in tiverton, devon

• Posted

Your symptoms sound like such a burden. I hope you are still seeking out medical attention from an ENT. Also, please focus on nasal basics like doing daily saline rinses. Also , petroleum jelly can keep the nose moist .

I have very minor symptoms during the day that aren't even worth mentioning. At night when I'm in bed is when all the obstruction occurs. I guess the blood rushes to my turbinates and swells them. Showers will sometimes make me sleep but they don't stuff me up.

I don't have fb

• Posted

i use an oil from neil med to help with the ens dryness but the saline rinses are horrific after nasal surgery! its quite literally the same as washing your hands in salty sea water. It makes them more dry after the water dries out. in regards to the sleep i am also the same. my turbinates are still swelling badly but because they were reduced in size it kind of feels like more preassure is there as there is leas tissue to inflate. my cns does not know im missing half its turbs. This sesnsation definitaly sends a message to your brain that air quality is poor when its not actually poor. for me it makes my brain behave like the room is full of smoke. best way to describe

• Posted

I have enlarged turbinates.

My problem has been a gradually increasing one though not a sudden onset like you.

My problem started getting bad about 2 years ago.

I dont have any daytime issues.

All the problem is nighttime. It affects my sleeping. It wakes me up and ultimately I cant get back to sleep again. I have chronic sleep issues. Any lethargy is from the sleep loss though not from any daytime issues. Its rarely highly blocked during the day.

I have tried everything under the sun. I also got a sleep apnea test and they said there is very low level apnea but not enough to classify as actual sleep apnea - everyone gets them apparently. The problem is my nose, not my throat. I dont snore a lot as I record my sleep. Snoring is rare. But loud breathing is very common.

I have tried almost everything. I have an allergy to dust mites (severe) and grasses (mild). I have been doing allergy shots for about 8 months but still not results.

I hate this problem. Reluctant to try surgery

• Posted

Are you able to live ok with the way things are? i have the same issue. I have had a couple of surgeries that have been unsucsessful. There is still another surgery that i can have that is a little more risky im seeing my Ent colleauge today. I dont know for me i feel like i cant live this way. it just isnt much of a life, so i have to take the risk of this surgery.

• Posted

Hey, so I went through with a turbinate reduction . I got it done May 2020. It took 4 months for my nose to completely heal. The results are great. I never have a stuffy nose. i don't think about breathing .

I still have insomnia but at least I know it's not due to breathing issues.

• Posted

I just like to start off by saying thank you for that very helpful information. my daughter now age 5 has also been having issues with swollen turbinates here and there she has also seen an ENT a pulmonologist and the pulmonologist diagnosis with severe asthma. my daughter has had several sleep studies done they diagnosed her with chronic instruction sleep apnea central sleep apnea and her oxygen decides at night when she’s very congested she’s been suffering with this pretty much her whole life. at night there’ll be time that I will hear her and she will be making some kind of a whistling noise and it’s very high-pitched and I want to say that it’s when she leaves out is when it happens. her pulmonologist said that that was strider A couple of x-rays later on throat Found nothing significant other than inflammation he saysfound nothing. with all this medication they keep prescribing my five year old nothing seems to be getting better I am looking into a homeopathic doctor for her instead

I believe that this will be the best route to actually fixing what’s really going on with her rather than masking it.

• Posted

You're welcome. Glad to share any helpful information.

Sorry to hear of your daughters health struggles. Based off her studies, did they recommend she get a cpap device? The device did help me get some sleep before I had my turbinate surgery but I couldn't imaging having to use it lifelong. It's just too inconvenient for me personally. Another option you have is to take her to the dentist to see if she would benefit from a sleep apnea dental guard.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.