I’ve had PHN since 2015 - have been suffering with Long Covid since January and PHN is getting worse

Posted , 4 users are following.

PHN started right side between chest and rash was under right breast Not been able to wear a bra since Pain also travels under arm and up into back and neck and into rhs throat

Recently after suffering with long covid the neck and throat pain has got much much worse Really affecting quality of life with burning and pain in throat, under tongue, roof of mouth, jaw line, ear and right side of face

Not taking any medication but Dr has prescribed Amitrytyline but I don't want to take meds for ever more It's so strange Anyone relate or help?

3 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Why do you not want to take your medications if your doctor has prescribed them?

Hope the pain has improved by now!

• Posted

I have had PHN for 18 months. I tried all the drugs that are recommended for PHN. None of the worked, Also tried opiates. No results. Just started on Horizant. Hope it works. My problem is in tricep, scapula and upper back. Numerous procedures with injections. also no results. They say my only other options is Spinal Cord Stimulator. I use lots of Lidocaine spray, 4% at pharmacy, You can get 5% with prescription. Good luci,

• Posted

ive read that meds don't really work for phn . i'm sorry to hear you've tried everything and nothing has worked. Good luck

• Edited

Read my posts on the forum under Post Herpetic Neuralgia, been suffered for over a decade, from under my eye all the way to the top of my head. Pain was intolerable from 2012-2015, tried every prescribed medication, for months or even longer at a time, just made things worse to the point, where its you either choose to become a voluntary drug addict and feel little to nothing or you deal with the pain and still remain somewhat yourself.

You know your dealing with a great doctor when they admit they do not know how to treat this or what will work. Any other words is, quite frankly filled to the brim with lies and no evidence to support these treatments work for even 25% of PHN Sufferers. The very few people i have talked to and met in person, never had any worthwhile success, taking anti-seizure, depression meds in treating or curing their PHN Pain. Men or Women, all ages.

Don't waste your time, telling people, loved ones or even family what your going through, mentally it drained me for 4yrs, having to discuss what i experience every day. It will lead towards depression and possibly even worse scenario's.If you have someone in your life who cares about you, you will know just how much they care about you, if your pain persists. I lost just about everyone in my life. That pain was hard to deal with, on top of what you know your gonna experience with PHN.

I no longer go out much, which kills me since i was a social butterfly and enjoyed being around people. Ever since Covid-19 in 2020, my pains have gradually gotten worse and longer in spans of time they last. U get used to the pain and you also get used to the fact everyone thinks your insane or pretending to be ill, cause on the outside you may look fine. They have no clue, not their fault, but a little compassion is a lot to ask when having to go through the rest of your life, no longer like yourself before PHN.

I can only work from home, due to never knowing from day to day how i feel mind body and spirit completely crushed from this Trivial Pain, good diet avoiding certain foods helps over the course of staying on that planned diet..

If you want to talk ever, I try and check these posts more often.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.