I've had these spine problems for 15 years and don't know what to do

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi, I have an issue with my spine, or maybe the muscles around it, I don't know since doctors are no help. I'll describe my symptoms, if anyone has any ideas what the problem might be I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts but that isn't the main reason I'm here describing my problem.

My main question is what do I do to get doctors to help me? I tried years ago then again to get a second opinion but they just act confused and send me away. I want to try again but what do I do/say if they say they haven't a clue and want me to just leave and live with it?

Anyway, here are my symptoms.

I get soft tingles and twinges in my neck accompanied by a high pitched sound.

I feel a constant pressure in my neck, it feels like I need to crack my neck all the time. This causes neck twitching and can increase to become headaches but it's not really pain more like pressure at the top of my neck that spreads into my jaw into my head/eyes. When the pressure increases like that it causes my neck twitch to get a lot worse.

A loss of physical awareness in throat and face/eyes, down my arms into my thumbs, and around my hips

When I relax I have to tilt my head slightly to the side to subdue a buildup of tension caused by the constant pressure in my neck.

I have a loss of awareness in my legs/hips and arms. In the arms the loss is from the thumb up the inside arm. In my legs its similar up the inside, I'm mainly aware of it in the center of the hips although it's hard to be precise. Walking is affected and is not as comfortable as it used to be, I feel like I sway from side to side more than normal but it's hard for me to really tell (I cant see myself walk). When outside walking at full pace my balance is affected slightly and walking a straight line can be a challenge especially if I look around or move my eyes. I feel like I can't ground properly through my hips/legs.

The left side of my body is worse then the right, the reflex in my inner elbow is completely dead and I feel sort of weight/pressure in my upper spine kind of like dead weight. Finger coordination is now pretty bad too.

A year or two ago I had my upper body turned left at an awkward angle and coughed and it caused a click in my mid back which seemed to slightly improve things. I got an increased (slightly) sense of awareness in my bag and I felt a bit more grounded when standing. This was my first slight indication that maybe this isn't permanent and could possibly be fixed.

However since then I get a recurring pain in that area of my back when I do things with my arms such as doing the dishes or hoovering, it doesn't have to be anything strenuous just using my arms seems to slowly build pressure in my back and it can get to the point where I can't continue doing whatever it is I'm doing. When I relax that pain goes away but will happen again after I've been in bed for around six hours. It can take a week or two to fully go away.

When I sneeze my head shakes from side to side.

If I'm not careful with my neck movements I get a debilitating pain in upper back on left side of spine.

My body is not comfortable to be in and apart from that cough/click incident these symptoms have been the same for about fifteen years now.

If anyone can help me know what to do/say to the GP it will give me more confidence to go and try to get help again. I was thinking about asking to be referred to a chiropractor.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.