I was diagnosed Hemi facial spasms for almost 5 months now since my eye twitching did not stop

Posted , 3 users are following.

My eye twitches for almost 2 years, but on and off. So i came to visit a doctor about my condition and was diagnosed Hemi Facial spasm. Slowly, aside from my eye, i can now feel the slow movement on my cheek. Anyone pls help? I read that acupuncture is effective. Have anyone tried this? 

Im thinking of having a second opinion to a neuro surgeon since my frst chek up was with a neurologist. 

Thank you everyone. I am 1 27 year old, mother, a University Instructor, and a wife. God bless! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Arkisha, I'm so sorry to hear that you have this condition, especially when you are so young and have career and childcare responsibilities - it must be a big worry, even though it is not life threatening of course.  Your job must be made very difficult by the spasms.  I'm not sure where you are in the world, but I would say that a good neurosurgeon may be best placed to tell you what your options are and whether surgery would be an option if you should want it.

I can say with some certainty that acupuncture may make you feel more relaxed about your symptoms but will not cure them.  I tried it with no good results, as I also tried Botox (with some limited success).  Medication does not generally work for HFS unfortunately which means that Botox is really the only reliable helper if your HFS is caused by a compression of the 7th cranial nerve - this is its most normal cause.

Have you had an MRI scan I wonder?  If not then this would be something to pursue through the neurosurgeon who will order the right MRI and will be able to interpret it in a meaningful way.

If you need information about doctors or if you wish to connect with others in your part of the world I would suggest that you join the Facebook Hemifacial Spasm International Support Group.  This group has the best information files for HFS and a very supportive group who will help you in any way they can.  For my own part, I am in the UK and had successful surgery after 9 years of very deblitating HFS.

Wishing you the very best of luck as you move forward.  This can be overcome, but probably only via Botox or Surgery.

• Posted

Thank you so much Roseann. I am from the Philippines. I tries drinking fresh fruit juices and tried home remedies like relaxing my mind so i wont feel stressed and depressed, I feel that the spasms were minimized, but still there. I planned to consult to a neurosurgeon since I read a lot from these forums that it is best to consult to a neurosurgeon, rather  than to a neurologist. No, my nerologist did not ask me to have my MRI scan, Is it expensive? I agree, maybe medications wont really work, i almost get tired of these meds, but still the spasms are still there.

How long will it take for a surgery, if ever? and how much will it cost? Honestly, im really afraid of this thing, but I just want to have a small idea about it. 

Are there no alternative things that I can do? Only botox and surgery?

How is your HFS now?

Thanks Roseann. 

• Posted

Accupuncture did not help at all. In fact the Accupuncturist said he for sure could help me when I called.  My first session he told me that I won't have them after this treatment and before he couild remove the needles I have a big one.  He saw it and was suprised so he did some other things to me like on my feet and legs and the spasm were still there. He told me it could take some time for it to work. I asked if I shoudl come back for more treatments and he said no.  That this is all I needed.  I never went back.  I don't know if this man actually knew what hemi facial spasms were.  Anyway,  i did get some relief with Botox but be aware that it can affect your smile.  Make sure you go to someone who knows what they are doing.  Theraputic botox is administered differently than cosmetic botox.  Good luck.

• Posted

Hi debbie! Thanks for the information you provided me with. I was so happy last week since I read blogs and forums conversations about there HFS and was medicated through the help of an acupunture. So, I guess, i should go diretly to a neurosurgeon, so he can provide me the details what to do. 

How's your spasms? Have you done surgery? HOw was it?

Thank you so much debbie! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.