I was diagnosed with follicular thyroid cancer

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi!!!! I recently had the rest of my thyroid removed and they diagnosed the last half of my thyroid that was left to have follicular thyroid cancer. It was so small and went to four different pathologists because it was so small. And did determine that it was a slow growing cancer. So they removed it and said i needed to go through iodine radiation treatment. For precaution reasons just in case it broke through and spread somewhere else. So now i had to do that low iodine diet and i have to take the I-131 pill tomorrow is my appointment. March 18th 2016. Im very scared still throwing it back and fourth if i should just wait and not do it maybe try canabis oil cbd only and see if that works. They also say that the radiation could also cause cancer to spread to my lungs and lymphnodes in my neck. Has anyone else had this and would u say do the treatment, or try something natural. I really am scared to do this but havent heard it from anyone who had this done had cancer again from any suggestions thanks laurie

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi laurie08260,

I cannot advise you, but I am sending my best wishes to you, what a traumatic time for you. I was just recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma and after two minor ops I have been given the all clear for now. I know how bad that was for me so can only imagine what you are going through.

Good luck and best wishes for the future.

• Posted

Ty mike and hopefully yours never comes back neather this is a terrible thing to go through this decission i have to make is a hard one still getting ready to head to the hospital and still dont know what to do i hope i make the right choice for my life you hve a great day and good health to you
  • Posted

Hi Laurie, 

This is going to sound really weird, but my name is Laurie and I too was diagnosed with follicular thyroid cancer.  I had surgery 3/28 to get the nodule and the left side of my thyroid removed.  Post surgery I received the pathology reports indicating I have follicular thyroid cancer.  Because of my age (45), the size of the tumor (1.4 cm), and minimal vascular invasion, they are recommending a thyroidectomy AND radioactive iodine treatment.  I'm okay with the thyroidectomy, I am not okay with the RAI treatment.  So, I'm in the same boat as you!  

I'm curious, what did you decide to do?  I hear you on your reservations, wondering if RAI treatment is the best choice.  I'd love to hear from you. 

Many blessings,

Laurie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.