I was just diagnosed with Cellulitis three days ago after a week of misery !

Posted , 2 users are following.

I developed a patch of dry itchy skin right at the top of my butt crack about 6 months ago and believed it to be a fungal infection . After a couple of weeks I started treating it with over the counter antifungal creams and sprays to no avail . Well 11 nights ago I got caught out on my motorcycle in the rain and was fairly close to a friends house so I went there rather than trying to wait it out and make it home . This turned out to be a HUGE MISTAKE !!!!! I say that because I ended up sleeping in my wet clothes because he had nothing that would even come close to fitting me and it was already nearly midnight . The next day my dry itchy patch had transformed into an entirely new species ! It was now severely swollen , burning like hot coals and seaping puss from several areas so bad that it was seeping through my underwear and jeans . After a week of dealing with these new symptoms with triple antibiotic ointment , I awoke that morning with the muscles in both arms hurting so I decided that I had better go to the Emergency Room because it was my belief that whatever it was was spreading throughout my body now . I choose to go to Vanderbilt Medical Center because of their reputation . I was scared that I had contracted MRSA "at least I believe that's the way it's abbreviated" . Well I had to go to the pharmacy that morning anyway so I began describing what had been happening with me to my Pharmacist and showed it to him . He said that it looked like Shingles . Now I'm really freaking out because at this point I'm 99% sure that it's one or the other and neither one has a happy ending . So I finally get my nerve up enough to go to the hospital and after sitting for hours in the waiting room to be seen , they called my name to take my vitals . I began telling the nurse my story and in just a minute after being sent back to the waiting room for what I expected to be hours more , the nurse come and got me and said to come with her . I said wow that was a lot faster than I expected and she said yep you said the magic word . I replied what's that ? She said Shingles ! Here put this mask on and come with me . I asked why I needed a mask and she said because it's VERY CONTAGIOUS ! So they decided to admit me and started an IV drip of a wide spectrum of antibiotics and didn't stop for three days . Well in the meantime they were neglecting to give me my pain medication that I normally take , not to mention anything extra for what they diagnosed as Cellulitis the second day that I was there . After three days of asking everyone that came in my room about my pain medication , I finally got one Doctor to agree to give me something for my pain yesterday morning . Well the nurse brought me 15mg of Oxycodone and some tums for my heartburn and was supposed to bring me some oxycottin about an hour later . That would have been around 10:15 AM . At 6:00 PM I still haven't gotten my oxycottin . Now I'm getting mad . I called the nurse via the call button on the remote for everything in the room and asked why I still haven't gotten my medicine and she told me that I had . I replied , no maam I haven't . You brought me the Oxycodone and two Tums but never came back with the Oxycottin . She insisted that she had because she had scanned my armband to prove it so there was no way that she could fourge that ! I replied that the only thing that proves is that you scanned the bracelet , not that I ever received the pill . I said to her , look it's like this. Either someone brings me my pain medication in the next 15 minutes or my discharge papers ! Needless to say that I'm writing this from my living room this morning because that junkie nurse stole my medication therefore couldn't get me my medication without getting herself in hot water . I'm now waiting for Urgent Care to open so that I can go get a prescription for some Penicillin or whatever they give you for Cellulitis . I really hate that it ended up this way because everyone else at Vanderbilt was wonderful . But there's always that one rotten apple that spoils the bunch .

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Wow....crazy story! I'm so sorry for what you are having to go thru. Lord yes, they are watching those opiates like gold but what about staff? Didnt the Director of nurses believe you? They could've drug tested her but then she may not have ingested it yet. *sigh* I pray you get some relief.

Ladyjack51

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.