I was tested for Ces but the doctor has ruled it out

Posted , 13 users are following.

on Tuesday this week I went to my doctor after experiencing numbness in my right buttock and having difficulty urinating and having constipation for three days. I also had lower back pain. I had an MRI done and it showed significant prolapse of the L4/L5 disc which is intending the thecal sac. I am deeply worried that I have Ces as I have almost every symptom after I googled it. Has anyone else been misdiagnosed? I don't want to sound like a hypochondriac by going back to the hospital. Really need some feedback please. 

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This was my story pretty much except I was suffering from incontinence episodes and had ibs-d so the Dr took the easy way out saying it was my L4-5 disk hurniation and proceeded to screw around with me wanting to do multiple steroid injections a month apart they were hoping a small hurniation would stay small not explode like it did almost over night
  • Posted

Unfortunately it seems CES gets missed way too often. It's like they are so afraid of it and refuse to believe it because of it's rarity that way too many people end up with it. Don't wait! It will be too late!

• Posted

Can I add also that my hospital sent me home with laxatives ( which up to now have not worked) and codiene! I was offered no physio just a follow up appointment in two months time with the spine doctor. After reading stories on this forum I have decided to take myself back to the hospital and demand a second opinion. Thank you for your feedback. 
  • Posted

You need to be assessed as urgently as possible by a spinal surgeon or at least someone who works on his team. You are at serious risk. You need to keep notes on all your communications, what you did and said and when; what they said and did and when. Best dictate into a smartphone. Whatever you do get it on record and don't give up . Feel free to ask for further help.

• Posted

If you feel that way then don't take no for an answer. I have suffered with back problems for 6 years & was more or less ignored, palmed off with tablets. It went on for so long I developed ces, I just knew something more was happening than a bulging disc that day. I called Nhs direct who luckily sent a brilliant emergency doctor who sent me to hospital, I rhen recieved the surgery I should of had years ago but was told it was'nt needed. Whether you have ces or not get treated properly now because it won't get better on it's own. Doctors do make mistakes on ces all the time. Google ces & advertising for solicitors/compo comes up,for a reason. If left untreated there can be consequences for you for life. Get a second opinion soon as. Good luck

• Posted

I was a urgent case the sent me home even with a gp letter. I that was a Friday they admitted be on the Monday late Tues done mir scan. Middle of the night. Drag out my bed taken by ambulance to kings in London prepared for urgent surgury anyway I was told so much nerve damage over time I have a colostomy and a ileal conduit wee stoma . They left the bladder in but it went septic so more urgent surgery i have had 7 ops all because of being left i have mobility problems. I have a 1long scar up my middle i sued and won a lot of damage it never got to court settled before. They knew in June it showed l4 l5 were right out the had fused together I was in pain for a year. When they snapped off the caused so much damage. So I agree don't let them muck around. I am in so much pain now 9 years or pain still bad. I have a lot going on in my back.

• Posted

Could u pass this on to them

Thank you keith.

• Posted

I would like to thank everyone who replied to me . I am currently in hospital after having a L4-L5 discetomy and decompression surgery. It seems that after 3 weeks of reporting symptoms of cauda equina a doctor at a different hospital to the one I was going to finally saw that I was in trouble and operated within 2 days. The pain in my leg has gone....but as yet my 'saddle region' and foot are still numb.

• Posted

How are you going with your recovery?

I was so glad to read at the bottom of this thread you got the surgery.  Good on you for being strong & advocating for yourself. Nobody can do it for us. It is sad you have had to do this to get the help.

I and others here have faced this too and the recovery process.  I hope you are looking after yourself and gaining function & / or pain reduction everyday & getting medical support to be the best you can. 

• Posted

I was misdiagnosed and operated on 10 days later,. Surgeon said if he had operated first day I was in a&e I wouldn’t have the neurological issues I have today. I sued Hse and won,. Money doesn’t cure but helps day to day life

• Posted

Hi Angela. My advice after what has happened to me is go to A and E.

?For the last 8 weeks I began to have symptoms. Staring with a lower back pain but gradually being very sciatic firstly down my left leg but spreading to both legs, my buttocks and saddle area. Pain moving around dreadful stabbing pains like  had Taurets.... I work as a builder so do occasionally get bad backs but not for more than a few days.. I went t to get a sports massage  which I do every month and no real improvement . I then went to A Chiropractor. I had 2 apointments, I think they are DANGEROUS and would never go again.. By this time about 2 weeks in I went to the GP's I had what seemed a thorough examination and was ent away with a sheet of stretching exercises. A little while later I re visited th eGP surgery this time I was given cocodamol and another exam I asked for an MRI but was told the muscular skeletal team would have no interest..

The pain did ease around this time due to lots of co codamol and the Gp gave me a free private physiotherapist appointment. I was told that she was surprised I hadn't been referred but not to worry.

?I visited Gp a third time and the young doctor called a senior colleague in who said do you want an MRI??

? I replied I did and was told to go privately which I did. I had the scan and an appointment was made with a trainee GP 10 days later to look at the results!! By which time I had lost all faith in the GP's. I was in severe but intermittent pain I phoned for an emergency appointment but they had none this was then a telephone appointment.

If I wanted to see a Consultant I would have to pay. 3 days later I had an appointment and was referred to hospital the next morning for emergency discectomy and decompression on the NHS the leg pain has gone.

?The Consultant said if I had presented to A and E 7 weeks before I would have been operated on!!!!

• Posted

Sorry to hear Michael, I had similar , couldn’t pee and severe pain, wife called doctor and he immediately diagnosed ces. Sent to a@e and doc there sent me home with morphine tablets. Had mei and op 10 days later but too late,. Nerves burned out. Live with pain and paralysis saddle area and down left side of left leg, some bowel and bladder issues as well as erection failure
  • Posted

I feel I'm dealing with the same issues right now and about to breakdown and go to the hospital again. I have severe sharp spinal pain right on the bone in my lower back/sacrum area. The pain is even radiating into my hips and groin and genital area. I do not have any urge to urinate and then I try nothing seems to come out and I'm having bowel issues of constipation that all started with the sudden onset of lower back pain. My legs feel numb, tingling and pins and needles down the buttocks and in between my legs and genital area. It even spreads to my hip and groin is that normal?  I'm also progressively getting weaker and can barely stand up straight to walk. When I sit of lye down I can feel the pain at an even more severe pain than when trying to move around. Does this sound like CES? On doctor told me it can't be that because I would be having incontinous issues and leaking bowels. He said severe urine retention and constipation is not a symptom of CES. I was thinking I should go the the hospital to be better evaluated. How have you been feeling after they acknowledged the CES you had? 

• Posted

I would 100% get yourself down to the hospital and ask for a 2nd opinion at least but ideally an Mri scan. I got checked out twice by my gp before a 3rd referred me for a mri. I didn't have any incontinence issues at all but was having to strain to urinate plus obviously all the back pain, leg pain and numbness in key areas. Most doctors seem to think if you're not incontinent it can't be CES. They are wrong.

• Posted

Get yourself checked by neurosurgeon. Demand your right to have this condition checked as the longer you wait the more damage will be done as nerves burn out

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.