IBC worry

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I’ve come here for a bit of advice and hopefully someone with more knowledge on IBC.

I’m 26 years old and 3 weeks postpartum, I’ve been breastfeeding exclusively up until the last week. I’m slowing weaning off pumping and dumping to avoid any mastitis!

A few days ago I woke up and discovered a slight itch on my right breast so had a look and found a red patch of about 4/5cm by 3cm ish. It’s bright red, sort of pimplely and raised and bumpy to feel.

I’ve had mastitis twice, once before becoming pregnant and once while breastfeeding… this does not have any characteristics of mastitis and looks very different.

Curious I googled it (mistake I know?!) and thought it looked slightly similar to IBC rashes, it itches on and off and have minimal pain that comes and goes, sort of an aching pain.

The doctor today was a trainee and was very quick to determine that it’s probably just dermatitis and prescribed me hydracortisone cream which should clear it up. If it doesn’t then she mentioned a dermatology referral.

I can’t say I’m reassured after todays appointment. Does anyone have any advice, and whether this sounds like it could be a IBC rash from what I’ve described and whether I should push to be referred to check it out?

I suffer with health anxiety quite badly, and this just doesn’t seem right to me?

thank you in advance!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

This sounds like a combination of many things and I dont think cancer is one of them. You are only 3 weeks post partum and your body is still experiencing hormone surges.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.