Ibuprofen , Acetaminophen & DXM works for anxiety ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have read all over the forums that acetaminophen and ibuprofen works well for treating anxiety and above all DXM (dextromethorphan in cough syrups) i heard great success stories about it especially for social anxiety . Success storeis more than benzos.

So does anyone have any knowlege on these drugs for anxiety ?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi I don't take them for my anxiety I take escitalopram prescribed for me by my doctor 
  • Posted

I don't recommend them.  If they have any value at all you will eventually need a higher and higher dose to get any benefit and your liver and kidneys will not be thanking you.  I've self-medicated my anxiety using opiate painkillers and I wish I never started this self-destructive path.  I've gotten off endone and tramadol only to be now addicted to otc codiene/panadol preparations.  I have been on anti-depressants now for a month and have found  marked improvement in my depression and anxiety.  Please don't self-medicate and please don't experiment.  Go to your GP instead and get professional advice.  This is probably not what you want to hear as we all wish for that miracle cure for our anxiety but it just isn't out there (yet).
    • Posted

tbh if all it takes is a cough suppresant to destroy anxiety i would take it
  • Posted

I understand where you are coming from.  God, don't we all wish for a 'cure' for our anxiety.  
  • Posted

Neone, about a month ago I was put on Paroxetine 20mg once a day and also take 50mg of Quetiapine before bed.  In just the four weeks my anxiety and depression has dropped significantly.  Before taking the plunge I self-medicated for three years on painkillers which just started making my anxiety worse and worse as I needed larger and larger doses just to feel okay.  Paroxetine and Quetiapine are both notorious however for weight gain.  I'm one of the lucky few though and have actually lost weight since I started on them.  I'm also on Norspan 10 patch for pain (Butrans in the US) so this might have something to do with it.  My devil at the moment is codeine but I've been slowly cutting them down as I feel I nolonger need them as a crutch so much.
    • Posted

What painkillers have you been using to self medicate ? And what are the doses ? And what does their feeling feel like ? Like being on alcohol ?

I cant get codeine so thats why i am looking for painkillers and DXM since i dont wanna go the benzo route

• Posted

I took tramadol and endone but I don't recommend this route as you need more and more to work, start waking up in withdrawals every morning which just makes your anxiety so much worse.  Tramadol at first gave my an energetic feeling whilst endone put me in a happy, relaxed state.  But I went from only needing two of either a day to 10-15 only after one year.  It was a horrible rollercoaster because I was always running out so always going into withdrawals. Then the Drugs Dependency Unit finally got on my back and now I can only be on the patches which have no recreational value whatsoever, they are purely for pain relief.  I never taken illegal drugs and down here in Australia you can't buy tramadol over the internet like you can in the USA and I think UK. Please, please don't go down this route, it is not worth it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.