IC instillation

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am due to have an instillation of anti inflammatory into my bladder - I have had IC for 6 months without any let up. Has anyone else had this and did it work please?

Regards

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jen... You had IC flare for 6 month? I've not had this done before. I am having a op had doctor think I might have endometriosis.

• Posted

yes but you will only get relief after 5-6 instillations so you need to persevere.

• Posted

Hi, I thought it was just one instillation?? How long does it have to be in the bladder before I can go for a wee. I am weeing every hour .

Regards

J

• Posted

Do you follow the IC diet? Do PH readings after you pee?

Acidic urine irritates the bladder and we need to try to get it (urine) nice and alkaline.

I do a spoon of baking soda in a big glass of water every night before I go to bed which helps alkalize my urine. If the PH level is in the 7's that is good for me - if its in the low 5's or 5's at all I will usually have burning and urgency.

Hope you are feeling better.

BTW, do you have pelvic pain?

My IC is in remission but I have other, similar urogenital problems involving vaginal atrophy (extreme dryness - very painful) and lichen sclerosus.

• Posted

Yes I have bladder pain every time my bladder fills. I take D-Mannose and Prelief with meals to make my urine go alkaline whilst following an IC diet. I also take AZO pills when i get a flare as that really helps my bladder pain. I try to get Cystistat bladder instillations every 4 weeks but am in Uk and here you have to have instillations done by a hospital urology nurse. getting appointments on a regular basis is haphazard. I don't measure my PH.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for replying. My IC was the result of bladder cancer treatment BCG. Is bicarbonate of soda the same as baking soda? I have started, this last week, to take a teaspoon of this with liquid but gosh is it nasty? If it works then it's worth it eh!

Regards

J

• Posted

Yes it is the same thing.

My urine is acidic so the baking soda makes it more alkaline.

For me it calms my bladder and takes the burn out of my urine.

Ironically, my evening glass of baking soda water is the highlight of my night as I'm so tired of drinking plain old water.

Alcohol and coffee are total "no no's" and I won't take a chance even on herbal tea in case it might irritate my bladder.

Hope the baking soda helps you!!

• Posted

Hi, I'll keep trying with the soda but find it very difficult to mix completely so I tend to put a heaped spoonful in a small amount of water and then throw away the undiluted granules. Cannot get used to the taste though UGH!!

Regards

Jean

• Posted

Hmmmm. Shouldn't be a problem stirring...an 8 oz glass, level teaspoon of b.s. a couple of stirs and that's it.

i often just go with a half teaspoon or 3/4 and drink it in stages.

Do you do ph strips? They are pretty informative.

Also Fiji water has the highest ph level so that's what I've been drinking.

• Posted

Hi, no way could I drink 8oz glass of water. I just stir the b-soda in a tiny drop or I'd never get it down. What is Fiji water?

Regards

Jean X

• Posted

Hi, I thought I would just need one instillation and I would be ok? When I had my BCG instillations for bladder cancer I had them for 6 weeks and this IC is the result. I am taking anti-inflammatory tablets orally to see if they will help and bicarbonate of soda - fingers crossed. I live in Spain and we also have to have the instillations carried out in the hospital via a nurse and have to be referred by the Urologist. I don't go until 7 June for the treatment and don't know how I can last out until then - had it for nearly 7 months now!!!

Regards

Jean

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.