Identifying accessory spleens & splenosis

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a spleenactomy 15 years ago due to a RTA. After the accident I spent 4 days unaware that my spleen had been ruptured & I was leaking blood. Does anyone know how splenosis can be identified in the body? Is it done through blood tests and/or ultrasound, MRI, CT scans.

splenosis is when a part of your spleen breaks away & becomes lodged in blood vessels & grows as a functioning spleen.

Also I've read up to 30% of people have accessory spleens. These are small but can also function as back up spleens. Has anyone found they have these & how were they identified? Thank you.

Maybe I'm grabbing at straws but you've got to live in hope. I've spent the first 15 yrs of my life never even thinking about not having a spleen & I took my daily antibiotics & had my vaccinations. Since a recent aortic stent operation & some real trauma during & after surgery I've not been able to stop thinking about how my old age might become really difficult without a spleen.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hi

l lost my spleen due to a operation going wrong 24 years ago.

I have never heard about one growing back or how they can test you through scans to see any problems with your spleen .

At the time i lost mine i was very poorly and spent a long time in hospital and intensive care. over the years i have had a lot of infections , bugs and with having young children all there bugs and illnesses but always bounced back ok . But the last 8 years i have found it harder to fight off illness and have had some awful infections that i couldnt shake off with the help of antibiotics so been rushed to hospital to have stronger ones through iv . Im thinking the same as you at the moment about fighting infections when im older with struggling now. I hate having to go to the doctors or hospital for fear of picking something else up . not looking forward to getting older with infections ect . There should be more help for us and more advice and information . I hope you get your answers .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.