idiopathic pulmonary hypertension

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello. Just asking for some opinions. Nothing will be acted upon what I read in the feedback - just so you know.

Someone I know has been diagnosed with idiopathic pulmonary hypertension. This person leads a terribly unhealthy lifestyle. No excercise. Processed foods. Smoking. LOTS of alcohol and LOTS of cocaine.

She's declared that she has idiopathic pulmonary hypertension. I'm of the understanding that "Idiopathic" means generally there's no definitive cause to the disease.

However, my little bit of research tells me that her lifestyle has caused this - specifically the cocaine bit. So, from this I'm assuming she's not told her doctor or anyone else what she gets up to. I know for a fact she's doing it several times a week.

So, if I'm correct in saying that the drugs are certainly a part, if not, the main cause of this disease what would be the effect of stopping doing it? Would it recede? Would her life expectancy go up?

Obviously, it would be great if she stopped. It would be a massive help persuading her if I could confidently say "you know if you stop doing coke then this disease isn't even fatal? Etc

Just looking for a way to leverage my discussion with her really.

All constructive comments welcome.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.