IIH

Posted , 4 users are following.

Do anyone know what causes iih ? Is it because you put on weight in a short amount of time ? Is it because the veins in your brain is too small? Why does iih affect some people but not all large people

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

That seems to be the million dollar question. It is "Chronic" Intracranial Hypertension if a cause can be identified, like a tumor or a blood clot. In the absence of identifying a cause it is diagnosed as "Idiopathic." When I was diagnosed I was given a list of "possible" causes but being Idiopathic literally means it is of unknown cause so...

I was told it could possibly be:

weight (obesity)

hormone imbalances

being female -.-

being between the age of 13 and 35 -.-

taking birth control (which affects hormones)

I am a 30 year old female on birth control to help stave off pain caused by follicle cysts, that is over weight (not textbook "obese") due to an underactive thyroid that is also being treated... phew...

¯_(-.-)/¯ so...in telling me a possible cause they basically just described me to myself. Which I take to mean apparently it could be anything...

• Posted

I was pretty much told the same most common in middle aged females that are over weight well i was 2 of them & being over weight wasn't one of them it is quite frustrating because its the still not knowing why,

Are we just unlucky?

• Posted

It really does feel that way sometimes... but they throw that "most common" in there and never really say much more than that like thats the end-all-be-all of it. Since I've been diagnosed I've heard from people i went to high school with that have been diagnosed with the same thing. Females that aren't obese that started having symptoms while we were in college, guys that are over weight but, in turn, aren't in "child baring" years or dealing with birth control effects...

The best they can do is tell us the commonalities between the people that make up the largest percentage of those being diagnosed and we share that similarity so that must be it...then, the answer is to lose weight -.- what happens when there isn't weight to lose?

Who knows if we will ever get a good answer...

• Posted

Well i tried the loosing weight & it didn't seem to make a difference to be honest,

Who knows we just have to take each day as it comes & hope they find the real answers its just nice to be able to talk to other people that are going through the same.

• Posted

Agreed. It's good to know we aren't alone in this mess...and that we can vent to each other about the "educated guess" answers we all get >.<

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.