Ileostomy and still bleeding??

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a ileostomy 3 weeks ago just to remove my large intestine with my rectum still attached, I had some bleeding to begin with which was expected but 3 weeks on and I'm still bleeding. Yesterday I had quite a lot of red blood from the back so my question is, is this a sign that I still have UC in the rectum?

I've decided that I will keep the stoma and need to eventually have the rectum removed but the blood just shocked me a little?!

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shal - I had the same operation a year ago and still have some bleeding. I feel healthy and will have the Rectal Stump (horrible term) removed early next year. It can be alarming but I treat it as normal now; sometimes the bleeding is a trace other times a bit more. It varies from day to day. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thanks Dadasdad, well if you still have bleeding a year on then I'm not too worried and very reassured. It's not troubling me so that's good, I guess it was just alarming to see it 3 weeks on.

Thanks. 😊

• Posted

Hey Dadasdad, just another query. Unbelievably I've completely lost my appetite, surprising I know after months and months of not being able to eat certain things.

But I have no appetite for anything at the moment, even my favourite foods I just don't want to eat or I'll eat a little with no pleasure at all and then feel a bit sick!

Did you have this or any thoughts?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.