In plaster for ten weeks now following talonavicular fusion.Anyone else in plaster so long?

Posted , 34 users are following.

thought I would be in plaster for six weeks following op then in a walker boot. Feeling very down as I still can't walk very well and the end doesn't seem anywhere in sight!

1 like, 107 replies

107 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes is normal it takes time for your bones to fuse and you should be on crutches and non weight bearing for at least six to eight weeks the cast should not come of before 12 weeks ..I had a tripple athrodeisis done 12 years agow .. I have now had my other ankle operated and had a hindfoot triple athrodeisis and plate ...cast on for the last four weeks still eight to go ..rest stay non weight bearing for most of the eight weeks partial weight bearing for the last four try and keep swelling down by raising leg with pillows ...it takes time to fues bones ...Rome wasn't built in a day 
    • Posted

Thanks Pauli. It helps to hear from someone who has gone through it. I just feel like I've been sitting with my foot elevated for so long! A bit frustrated with the lack of guidance. I keep thinking that perhaps I should be trying to do more. Also worried about how thin my leg has gone already!
    • Posted

Anne after you stop with the cast your foot will still swell you will still have to raise it up after walking but it will lesson over time it will take about a year get get back to a normal foot with no pain . But it's all worth it after that you have a feet with no pain and can walk for miles and miles.... it just takes time ..it took years to get to the position you were in before the op 

i am just glad I can sort it with an op ..take care anne you will get there 

• Posted

I was wondering when my foot would stop swelling. I've noticed the cast gets really tight when I've been up on my feet. I know it will all be worth it but it is such a LONG recovery period.
    • Posted

Hi anne everybody is different but with me it was about almost a year before I could get in to normal shoes and stop raising my leg all the time to get swelling down . And yes it is a long time ..but believe me its so worth it to be totally pain free after years of having problems with ankle .no more anlke brace or jags in joint ..its a big operation and takes time for the inside to heal ...I can't wait to get to eight weeks were I will be able to put partion weight on it ....it easier for me the second time round because I know what to expect ..believe me anne this is a cure for athritis in the ankle .you won't get many cures in this world when it comes to arthritis ..no pain ...it will be worth all this hassle in the end and gives you your life back ..next summer I plan with my son to do the highland way in scotland it's a hundred mile walk in over a week were you can stay in hotels or do it camping ..I plan to rough it and do the camping ... You are by the worse ..you are now on the recovery period stick in there 
    • Posted

Hi Pauli

Wow....hundred mile walk, that's fantastic. I know I have to be patient but you just want to get to the next stage. I suppose I thought it would be three months or so then back to normal. It's my first experience of surgery and I didn't realise how difficult it would be. 

Thanks for your encouragement!

• Posted

I'm 270 lbs and after the same surgery she has me PWB, but I'm afraid after 7 weeks it's too soon. welcome thoughts. I keep hearing people off the leg for longer and I am sure you all are lighter

• Posted

Had heavy wadding for first two days then AIRCAST BOOT for next 6 weeks 24/7.Now 3 months on weight bearing and no cruches but hurting like hell.

Walking through the pain but have started taking pain killers to get me through the day.

Have just ordered electric scooter to make life more bearable. will be pain free in 6 months I am told ??? Will wait and see.

Regards

Mr Ankle   

• Posted

Can't imagine walking without crutches at the moment...scary thought! I've started taking painkillers again now I've started weight bearing!

It's good to hear other people's experiences good or bad. I've read loads of articles about the op but they're all about standard recovery which is not real life. It's good to hear actual experiences good and bad because you then realise you're not the only person who doesn't fit with the standard recovery time frame.

Hope everything starts to improve soon!

• Posted

Hi Mr ankle ..its my second time with this opp on ankle I have cast on comming up to four weeks since op Mr ankle ..I would get on a bike and get the joint moving without the weigh bearing .. swimming very good as well . I found putting a surgical stocking on helped with swelling you are walking differently with a new foot it take time for body to get used to it .it will become pain free sooner than you think but you do have to use your feet walking and cycling and swimming are best way to get over it quicker stick in here 
  • Posted

Im in plaster for 11 weeks NWB i was told last week i probably will need pins that will be another 6 weeks NWB, so i was informed.. I really really don't know how I'm going to get thru it. Oh and I had to move back with parents!!!! Sorry this is far from the answer your looking for but i know exactly how you feel!!
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that Siobhan. It's so frustrating having to rely on other people for everything. Everyone kept saying how great it would be to sit with my feet up being waited on! They have no idea!

So nice to talk to people who actually understand what you're going through and how it feels.

Good luck with everything!

• Posted

My surgery is in Mid March. I am told I will b in a cast Non weight bearing for 10 weeks, then a boot. I am getting nervous, but I cannot walk very far & without pain as it is. I want to b able to walk with no pain, play golf & wear high heels. Guess it's going to take a long time of patience & hard work.

Ann, I'd like to follow how u r doing. So I look forward to your posts.

• Posted

I just had my tanoNavicular fusion done at the begining of this month. I guess you have now recovered. Please give me some tips if possible. My right foot is currently in a plaster. It hurts so much. I am having various pain killer tablets.
    • Posted

My talo navicular fusion was March 30. On April 28 I am at 4 weeks in a cast. My cast was changed at 2 weeks & will b changed at 5 weeks. Another 2 weeks etc... My cast will cone off on June 7th if my X-rays r good (fusion complete). Then into a walking cast or walking boot depending on XRay. I was off my pain pills after 2 weeks. Everyone is different. First 2 weeks I kept my foot above my heart as recommend by dr. I now still keep it up most of the time. I do have at my access: wheel chair, scooter, & walker. I use all.

So sorry u r having so much pain. What has the dr said? If u have any specific question I would b glad to answer if I can.

• Posted

I am seeing the doctor today to probly replace my cast after the scan on my foot. I am not sure wether I will carry on wearing the cast or the moon boots. But the pain is still unbearable. I only have 2 crouches. I only hope that after 6 weeks things will get better. I am constantly on painkiller tablets. I really hope you are doing well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.