Incidental finding after HOLEP and monitoring uk

Posted , 1 user is following.

Had private HOLEP in Jan of last year and apart from a troublesome stricture that was corrected in April of last year, everything much improved with flow rate and reduction in frequency.

However the routine biopsy taken during surgery came up with low grade cancer - Gleason 6, 3+3. My private surgeon Tev Aho was affiliated with Addenbrookes in Cambridge and despite the cancer finding they recommended MRI follow up only if my PSA exceeded 2. 4 PSA readings in the last year, all below 1.

However my local hospital Harlow where I am registered has sent me to 3 MRI's in the last year ( all negative ) and now want me to have a 24 point biopsy. I have asked them why the huge difference in approach and they say the incidental finding was only from the central core removed during HOLEP and want to sample the outer part of the prostate to make sure. i have asked to speak to a NHS Consultant or Clinician before agreeing to the biopsy. Prostate biopsy is not a pleasant experience and i am questioning the need when PSA and MRI readings are looking so stable. Anybody else on here experienced this type of thing? Apparently in the UK it is not unusual for different NHS hospitals to have different approaches but surely it should be a standard national approach.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.