Incision after sphincterotomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a sphincterotomy about three weeks ago. At my two week check up went well and the doc said my incision had opened more than the usual patient, but that I was healing fine. A week later, it's looking healthier, but is still pretty large (about the size of a nickel). I have little to no pain throughout my days. Just occasional discomfort. Did anyone else have an incision this large? How long did it take to completely heal?

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Not sure why your incision is so large. Evidently it's surgeon preference. I could barely see my incision after surgery and it seemed to heal very quickly. So long as you're healing and avoiding infection it really doesn't matter. If you're not in much pain that is a great sign. By week I was maybe 80% and by 2 months close to feeling completely healed. Probably 95%. Hang in there. it takes time to fully heal.

• Posted

how long did you wait before having the surgery?  what were your symptoms prior to surgery?  Hope you feel better soon. 
    • Posted

I originally thought I had hemorrhoids. Back in February the pain became unbearable. I was in tremendous pain during bowel movements and even throughout the entire day. The worst pain I've ever felt in my life. I made an appointment to see a surgeon. She told me I had two fissures, one very large. She also said she could tell I'd had them for years (it all made sense then). I've torn on and off for about six years now. She prescribed me Nifedipine cream three times a day for four weeks. I healed, but the fissure reopened about a week before my follow-up. When I returned I consulted with her and decided to just go ahead with the surgery. I then understood that the Nifedipine is just to help the fissures heal, it doesn't fix the real issue. Even though I'm not fully healed, I'm able to have a bowel movement that would have killed me prior to surgery with no pain. So, it's definitely been worth it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.