Incision dehiscence

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, haven't been on much lately. I've been a little depressed due to my incision not healing well.

My incision from last year's ORIF after car accident (posterior) healed great. However, it was stapled, longer, and posterior is not hindered by leg bending when you sit.

This time I am not fairing as well. At first I thought the scab just came off the middle part. I tried everything to get it to scan over again. But now, I fear my incision has dehiscenced. (Opened up)

My surgeon is on vacation so I will have to go in the walk in clinic. This also means an hour and a half drive there and back. Not to mention debridement of the wound. Not looking forward to that in the least. ๐Ÿ˜–

My incision always looked weird and puckery. Even my sister questioned it when she took me to my 2 week check up. But we were assured it was normal for the anterior to look that way, that the sutures would dissolve on their own and that the puckered/gathered look would minimize in time.

Guess not....

So this is where I am at for week 4 post op. On a good note, I am walking with cane very well, I only ache if I do too much, and incision really doesn't hurt (even though it looks nasty as heck). My numbness down the side of my leg is still there but it is getting a bit smaller.

So much for having a nice and tiny second scar. :p

4 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carla

Sorry you are having problems.

Do not go to the walk in center. Go to A & E. They can deal with you a lot better there than a walk in center. They will also understand your situation better and be better equiped to deal with it. If your surgeon is on his annual leave some of his tram may still be there so maybe try going back to the ward you were on when you had your opperation done. That is another choice. I hope you get it fixed and you don't get an infection. .

• Posted

Dear Carla ..

that doesn;tt sound good - did you cover it with some gauze or something?

I agree with hailea - don;t go to the walk-in clinic - how about calling your GP ? Are they closer by? or call the orthopedic department -ย 

Good that ย it doesn;t hurt - do you have temparature ?

Take care and hope you will have agood and calm nightย 

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Oh Carla I am sorry to hear your wound is not healing. No it's not normal for any wound to look like you're describing. Best you get it looked at.

Good there are improvements with your walking, I get the aches too if I overdo it. I think it's because I'm actually more aligned in my pelvis and everything's adjusting.

I hope you get your wound sorted out and healing up so you can get back on track.

๐Ÿ’Œ๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿ’Œ๐ŸŒˆ

• Posted

What a blow. Like the others I would go to AE after first phoning the ward you were on to se if you can go straight there. There will be an orthopaedic consultant on duty or on call, they cover each other when absent, and I doubt all his team will be on holiday. Keep the open part covered to help prevent infection. Let us know how you get on
  • Posted

It's been a bit since I have been on here.ย 

Went in to the doctor and they advised me to do a wet to dry wound covering twice a day. It has been slow going but it is finally getting smaller. ย I go back again this week for a check up.

Doctor said no therapy until this heals.ย 

I feel I should be much farther along than I am at this point. It is 8 weeks post op. But, like the doctor reminded me, I was also pretty much immobile for a year. Plus, I have a lot of other hardware from the previous surgery after teh accident.

I am still walking with aid. I was hoping I would be walking with no aid by now. But I have adjusted my thoughts to Christmas. I hope to be walking by then...maybe soone. wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.