Incision pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello everyone! I am 26 days post PKR and feeling so much better. I think I've turned a corner and I am happy. There is one issue that I am concerned about. My incision scar causes me pain all of the time, when I bend down my knee or touch it the pain is bad.  I have been putting Neosporin on it, my PT says not to put Mederma on it until I am at least a month post surgery. Is this normal? Any ideas for lessening the pain? I have read  that a vitamin E cream can help.  This forum has gotten me through so far so I'm looking for any advice. Thanks!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Nothing at all until it has stopped draining completely and lost the scabs. Have always used VIT E oil with good success but others find good results with bio oil and other products. You want something that will soak into the tissue but not any chance of entering the blood stream. That pain is the small nerves healing and you can't get away from that with a topical solution. It takes a med that will deal directly with nerves but it will go away in time. Its just one of the pieces of the puzzle that has to be put in place. Massage the skin next to but not directly on the wound.
  • Posted

My wife had a severe pain in a surgical scar on her shoulder.  Her PT recommended a silicon gel (Looks like a piece of jello) to put on it  -- it worked almost immediately.  The gel was developed for burn victims.  I'm sorry I don't have a brand name.
  • Posted

Hi today I'm 26 days post TKR and from the very day I got the staples removed I used arnica cream on the cut, I also used on my bruising which was unbelievable, bruises away within 4 days but my scar is really nice for a scar, it's clean, it's smooth, it's also not itchy, I do have 1 tiny area that's lumpy and sore but that's where a staple was in too deep.

Try it, it's amazing. Worked for me, may not for everyone but I paid approx £3.50 for a 50ml tube that lasted about 1 week

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.