Inconsistent Test Results

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for your help!

Over the past several months I have been struggling with UTI's and have had inconsistent test results. Here's an overview of what happened chronologically as that is the best way to explain.

I woke up one morning and realized immediately that I had a UTI, as I have had them before. I went to my primary care doctor who did an in office leukocyte test that came back positive for a UTI. In fact, he said the test results were very high and that I absolutely had an infection. I was put on macrobid. I finished the macrobid and felt better, but a few days later I felt much worse. Most importantly, this urine sample was never sent out for a culture.

I went back to my primary doctor and was this time put on Bactrim. After a few days I still did not feel better. I went to a urologist, who said that once I was off the antibiotics for several days, she could do a culture. I came back once I was off the antibiotics, still having symptoms, and my urine once again tested positive for a UTI with the leukocyte test, but the culture came back negative. She explained to me that I was likely just experiecing residual symptoms.

This was roughly three months ago, and I now have another UTI. The same thing has happened, I had a positive leukocyte test and a negative/no growth culture.

Additionally, I had had this happen to me several years ago as well.

I am fully up to date with STI/STD testing, I am completely clean, and I am not pregnant.

Is there a simple explanation for this inconsistency in test results or should I be worried that something more serious is causing symptoms that are similar to a UTI but are really not?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am in the EXACT same boat! I am on my 3rd round of antibiotics. Started with macrobid the went to Bactrim and still had symptoms. Even down to my first culture never got sent out!!! I mean scary similar!

My last culture came back negative even though the urgent care test said positive. I had blood in my urine and crazy fast onset of symptoms.

I have had some many over the years that I know right when it is coming. Even now on the third round of antibiotics I still feel the "uti feeling" several different times throughout the day. Not nearly the pain as a full blown case,but enough to mess with my mind and send me into a breakdown thinking the antibiotics aren't going to work!

I seriously feel so hopeless! What can I do if this just never goes away?!

I read about hormones playing a role in utis so I am going to get all my levels checked with my ob/gyn.

I,too, worry about an underlying issue but no other symptoms. No std. No pregnancy.

Most of the time mine are triggered after sex. I do all the proper precautions, too! Pee before and after. Shower. Drink plenty. Still so frustrating!

Please let me know if you get any answers!! I would love the help!

• Posted

My story is similar to yours. Test results that show different things and I've been on Bactrim and Cipro and the last culture said clear so they won't give me anything else even though I'm still having burning after urination. It's been 3 months and I'm miserable. Has anything helped you? Cystex and hot showers are the only things that seem to help me.

• Posted

My story is similar also. Here's what finally worked for me, for whatever it's worth. After antibiotics, and I was feeling better for the moment, I started taking a probiotic called RePhresh Pro B Feminine Supplement (I think there are other brands of feminine probiotic out there. It's just the one I took.) I also bought all new underwear and used hydrogen peroxide as a pretreatment every time I washed them, washing them with sensitive skin detergent in hot water and 2 rinses. Using hydrogen peroxide made me discover that my washing machine had not been cleaning my underwear as well as I assumed, even in hot water! If hydrogen peroide bubbles afyter applied to an area of clothing, it means bacteria/protein is present. I also bought a handheld bidet sprayer, that attached easily to the toilet, and use it several times a day. It's been over 2 years and I've never gotten another UTI!! I don't take the feminine probiotic daily anymore- just at the end of my period once or twice. Also, and this is important, I stopped eating anything with chili paste (spicy chinese food) or jalepenos. Spicy foods can irritate the lining of the urethra for some people (as well as bumping it hard or rubbing during sex, sorry to say.) Please try these things if you havent already. I'm so glad I did.

• Posted

In regard to your test results being negative, you can still have a very irritated urethra even if there's no infection or bad bacteria. What could be irritating it? In addition to the above things I did to stop my recurring UTIs (long post above), I also stopped drinking soda!! I didn't stop originally due to UTIs, I just didn't like the artificial sweetners of diet soda and didn't want the extra calories of regular. Recently I was really craving a Diet Coke and drank 3 in a day. 2 days later I felt irritation like I was going to have another UTI! After 2.5 years of keeping them away. I immediately took the feminine probiotics and realized drinking all that soda was new for me. I didn't drink any more of it and was fine. No UTI developed. It makes me think soda is causing a lot of UTIs without people knowing. Maybe it's the caffeine or carbonation or other ingredients or a combination of 2 or more, but for whatever reason, soda can be a source of irritation. So try eliminating it for while and see if your UTIs stop. It's worth a try.

• Posted

Thanks for the tips! I've started washing with warm water after i urinate and changed TP also. I bought some msm lotion and started taking a probiotic with cranberry and so far the combination of these things plus not eating spicy foods, or drinking caffeine or alcohol has helped the burning/pain. It's almost gone but not completely. I am feeling encouraged.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.