Increased pain after microdiscectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a microdicectmoy 3 weeks ago at L5/S1. I'm 29 and I have had back pain for 5 years but it had always affected the left side, and my doctors always waved me off with painkillers (apparently tall people are more prone to back pain so at 5"11 I should just suck it up). Then last December I started getting pain in my right leg. My GP originally diagnosed this as a tendon injury but as it got worse and worse I eventually got sent for a scan and after 4 months on a waiting list got surgery. By this point I had a permanent limp, needed to walk with a stick, work had to move me to an office role and I basically had no life, and painkillers didn't touch it. By the time surgery came around I was on oramorph, tramadol and gabapentin which did nothing for the pain (but did help me sleep!).

The day after surgery I had intense pain in my right leg which the physio told me not to worry about as the nerve would heal slowly. However I'm now 3 weeks later and the pain is still very intense. I get spasms down my leg every time I stand up, these can be crippling some times. It sometimes flares up when walking and if I turn slightly or roll over in bed wrong I get the same crippling pain down my whole leg. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'm concerned as so many people are saying they had instant relief after surgery. I know everyone heals differently but I don't know if I need to be more patient or seriously concerned?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi just wondering how you are now? I'm in similar position 😦

The microdiscectomy I had a week ago has made things worse

hope yours improved

• Posted

can either if you report back with any update on your recovery? im 2 weeks post discectomy l5/s1 . its better than pre surgery but still get the cramping charlie horse pains in my glutes and hamstring and calf. Its not all day but it worries me why its still so severe

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.