Increasing PSA over time

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 55 years old. For my annual physical I had my first PSA test when I was 50 and the result was 1.7 ng/ml. Two years later my next PSA was 2.83. Fast forward a month ago, my PSA is 3.83 ng/ml. It looks like in a year my next test will be over the >4 ng /ml range which has me a somewhat concerned, but due to my PSA velocity my primary doctor is not concerned and is basing her referral to a urologist at some point on either a large increase year to year, or a doubling of the velocity. Does this seem like a prudent approach?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I just saw your post.

Did you have the PSA checked at the same laboratory each time?

If so, the general rule is that a doubling or more in one year is a sign that things may be bad.

The velocity not the nominal PSA number is the variable to watch.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.