Indescribable Heel Pain (Plantar Fasciitis)

Posted , 8 users are following.

38 y/o male who is a distance walker 4 miles or more daily. Decent health despite being slightly 'flat footed' I guess you would call it. Someback ground: heels always wear out on shoes. Throw them out when it happens. Started noticing gradual heel pain on R foot. Changed shoes. Last night while walking, I had pain beginning on heel. Limped home. put Liniment on it. (Salonpas) downed 6 aspirin, had some of my prescibed cough medicine so I took some just for the pain, then went to bed. Woke up this morning with indescribable pain. Stumbled out of bed. Iced it for 6 hours. Felt like a stabbing pain. And intense stabbing pain. Been reading about home treatments, using the R.I.C.E. method. However, I am questioning if the conservative treatments will be of little use since I am of the opinion that mine may be more advanced. Used to be able to get on after using the "conservative treatments" as listed on line. Having trouble walking. Not a big fan of seeing a doctor. They might prescribe a steriod or Norco. Saw some youtubes about steriod injections. And those are absolutely painful. Not sure if Surgery would help. Or if it would be needed. Mom thinks it's plantar fasciitis. Dad thinks it's a bone spur. He had one removed about 30 years ago. Mother in law thinks it's a stress fracture. The patients in the youtube videos have the pain located in same location. Saw some disparity between foot surgery options. Some more graphic and advanced than others. I'm a pragmatic type so naturally I am exploring my options. So you have the back ground. Now my questions: 

1) is this a minor case of PF?

2) could it be a stress fracture?

3) should I abandon the RICE method and proceed to more advanced options?

4) has any of you had same problem

5) is it a bone spur?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You probably have a classic plantar fasciitis and an x-ray would reveal a bone spur. Cortizone injections are not that painful and I ran on the foot the next day and had no pain. Like I said though after about 18 months it's come back. The two cheapest options are to stretch like hell three times a day ice it and maybe wear a boot at night that stretches the planter fascia. That is the cheapest and least Dr. intrusive means of healing the planter fascia besides just resting completely and hoping for the best… in my opinion.

• Posted

Nick, I feel your pain. I had not been very active because both of my knees were shot. After 2 total knee replacements i started walking. I had a FitBit to encourage me along. But for me, it was too much too quickly. Or so that's my best bet. I've never been to a doctor, did all the online stuff and finally a friend took me to The Good Feet store (in the USA and Canada). They looked at my foot imprint, fit me with a series of expensive inserts (about $1,000 for 3 different sets) and I started noticing improvement. My right foot is still dealing with some pain, but I'm in a way better place than I was.

I don't think anyone will advise you as to whether it's a stress fracture or bone spur - you'll need to see a doctor to rule either of those out. Did you look at the documents on the side panel under "Related information"? I think it was in there that I'd read that most often then not it's not a bone spur.

And I'm not sure how important the RICE method is. Icing, yes. You can fill an old plastic water bottle or something similar with water and freeze it. Then put it under the painful foot and roll it back and forth. It helps stretch it as well as help with the pain. You can also roll a tennis ball around for a similar effect, minus the benifit of the ice. Definitely take a look at the two documents in this group.

-Mo

• Posted

Wouldn't a foot x-ray make your life more bearable to determine what EXACTLY is troubling you?  How about alternative treatments ... massage, acupuncture, acupressure?  Good luck.

• Posted

Cushion it, use Gel heel pads in all your shoes and do the calf stretching exercises, carry on for at least 3 months and as the gel pads are only a couple of quid or 3 dollars on line, just google gel heel pads and get the blue thick ones, it will help whether its heel spurs or pf. Never had injections for pf but I do for my Knee and they certainly do not hurt as much as the pf does. The more the injection hurts the more effective it will be as the pain means its hit the right spot so man up the pain is worth it although I am told they are not as effective for pf.
  • Posted

you almost certainly have plantar fasciitis. I am a retired physician

I doubt it is a stress fracture of your calcaneous and bone spurs are the result of and not the cause of PF.

Don't even think about surgery at this point.

I don't know what a minor case is. It is about the pain. Cortisone injections are absolutely not painful and may help but usually will not cure it alone.

Please see some of my previous posts and you might find somthing which helps.

• Posted

Hi John,

Not sure that you can of ever had a cortisone injection because I can assure you they do hurt, when I have them in my knee its not the needle going in that hurts its as the cortisone squirts out into the inflamed joint it hurts but as i have said the more it hurts the more effective I know it will be so well worth it and the pain is still not as bad as the pf pain just in front of the heel and the burning pain along the sole of the foot that only ice relieves but I think a hot foot bath is better than cold which only numbs the area.

• Posted

Initially, I was not going to reply to this but I changed my mind. I don't know where you get your information but you are spreading fear with your misinformation. I have received cortisone shots many times, seven in by spine, both wrists, left elbow, left hip and left foot. None of these were ever painful. Maybe your doctor is an idiot. I have given cortisone injections in many body parts many hundreds of times and have never had anyone tell me they were painful, never. Generally we use a tiny 25 gauge needle for Xylocaine to numb the skin and then go deeper injecting slowly. When the area is completely numb, the cortisone is injected slowly usually with some Xylocaine, (except in the spinal epidurals). I don't know how you could even make it painful it you tried uless the MD used a huge needle and did not use any anesthetic - again, an incompetent idiot. When the Xylocaine wears off, after a few hours the cortisone anti inflammatory effect is already doing it's thing to relieve pain and inflammation.

Hope this helps. - Do you want to improve or argue with people in this group who are suggesting lots of possible options to relieve this very painful condition and trying to be helpful ?

• Posted

Dear John,

No need to reduce this to a slanging match I say what I know after having injections in the Knee, I would be lying if I said they did not hurt but as I have said the pain is minimal campared to the pf pain. I have had two different doctors do it and twice it has hurt and twice it has not only the prick of the needle remined the same. The times it hurt the injection worked well and lasted for almost 3 months, when it did not hurt it only lasted a month and then the pain was back.I do not make this up and I believe in being honest but I said it was nothing compared to the pf pain and only lasted a few secounds as the cortisone is injected. In Britain this is done under the NHS and no anesthetic is used which is possibly why it hurts so check your facts before abusing p[eople who are only trying to help others and do not be so ignorant. I guess you must be in the US and so pay and can ask for anesthetic where in the UK we have to man up and put up with a little pain. 

• Posted

I do not like interfering but UK do use anaesthetic.

I have had several shoulder and elbow injections and apart from initial sting they are brilliant.

After third in my right elbow I have been pain free for years. It works for many as you said it worked for you. Ask for some next time.

The other thing I would like to add is you should always talk to your own GP about any medical issues as they have your medical history.

PF highlighted that I had other more serious issues and I am now three month a post final surgery on both feet, basically total foot reconstructions. Best thing I did was seeing a podiatrist. I would have been crippled a few years down the line if I hadn't.

I hope yours is sorted by rest, stretching your calfs my best result which helped cure the pf. I stood toes on bottom step and dropping heels which stretched my calls well.

Wearing inserts and berkinstock/anatomical sole shaped sandals

• Posted

For christ sake what is up with you all, I can only say what I had and it was not an anaisthetic and it did hurt but not much prehaps yours are different I can only say what happened to me when I had knee injections by my GP maybe you had yours at a hospital, I have not had any for my pf because I was told they were unlikly to work and the same for ankle and back pain I was told they work best on large inflamed joints where there is restricted blood flow. My doctors appear to be right because I now have no pf pain and my knee is OK for a couple of months and I am still able to have the cartilege regrowth treatment when it becomes available.
    • Posted

Sorry if I upset you that was not my intention. I only wanted to point out the error you made about the use of anaesthetic not being used in Uk . I did not want others to be put off seeking help if they want to. We all have to be careful giving advice to people we neither know nor know about. I had all my injections by my gp's at two different surgeries. Like I say you do not know me or others on this site. We all have to be careful.

• Posted

Fortunately, I've never had to have the injections, or maybe it would be more accurate to say the opportunity - I wanted them in my knees, but the doctors said it was too far gone. But my mom and several friends have had them and they told me they hurt like hell. Perhaps some people are more sensitive to them then others. But the beauty of these forums are that we all get to share our experiences. If someone says it hurt them, then let it be. Just as no one should jump on you and say it didn't hurt you, right? From what most have told me, it wasn't the needle that hurts, it's getting all the medicine that does. In my mind, I equate it to the novicane shot I get from the dentist; it's not the initial jab that hurts, but the more he pushes the meds in I'm in more pain.

-Mo

• Posted

One thing I've learned from this site (I'm part of two other forums) is that making absolute statements doesn't do anyone any good. We have to remember that we all respond differently. I had both knees replaced at the same time and they even healed and responded to everything differently. Add to that the variety of methods and terminology in different parts of the world (I've seen people on here from all over). And then, even from one doctor to another you will see different methods. The beauty of this site is that we get to hear of other peoples experiences and then use what we are going through to come up with a better understanding. From what I'm reading here, some are speaking as if their experience is the only way anyone can experience something. Personally, when I'm dealing with something or preparing for a surgery, I like the range of responses. Those that fly through their situations give me hope. Those that deal with challenges or more pain help give me perspective. I went into my knee replacement with the thought of it was all going to be easy and I'd be up walking my neighborhood right away...because people told me this. My reality wasn't that and I was so distraught. Until I found this site and saw I was actually doing better than the average person. I share this in hopes that we can give people the space (a safe space) to share their experiences without judgement.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis recently after I was struck by severe pain in my left heel - it was so bad I couldn't walk. At first, I thought I must've struck something while I was running (I run 5xweek 5 miles) and hoped the pain would leave if I stayed off the foot for a bit. No such luck. After an x-ray, the dr confirmed PF. He also mentioned I had a bone spur but that wasnt the cause of the pain - it was the swelling of the fascii. 

I am miserable right now, but hope to be better soon. I miss running. Heck, I miss walking! If you haven't gone to a doctor yet, go to one asap. You're only going to make things worse by delaying seeing a professional. 

My doctor wasn't too enthusiastic about giving me a cortisone shot - and honestly, I've never really liked them either, but I may end up getting one just to see. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.