Initial quetiapine side effects

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi peeps Im looking for some advice if there is anybody out there re. quetiapine side effects when first starting them. im using it for depression and anxiety.

Im on day 11 and i have the following symptoms:-

Some increased anxiety/panic.

I wake up with a jolt each morning after about 6-7 hours sleep and need to get out of bed stright away.

Warm and cold waves.

Mood dropping.

Has anyone else had similar and at what point do the symptoms settle?

Thanks

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Hi Nicholas, it takes 4-6weeks for your brain and body to adjust. It works by blocking dopamine, serotonin, histamine and some adrenaline levels, this takes some time. I was on quetiapine for almost 15months and was going through similar side effects which dissapeared within month. My psychiatrist also gradually adjusted dosage first week i used 12.5mg to get use to it, after for another month 25mg. Beside all that it helps with my anxiety and insomnia in the first 6months, after that i had muscle pain, i had difficulties walk upstairs which was never a issue before, constipation, frequent urination, headaches, blurry vision and gain 40lbs weight. With further dose upping my hands and face was twitching and heart rate became high. In the end it stopped working on my insomnia so i wake up daily at 3am. Started reducing dosage slowly till i stopped taking it. It tooks 6weeks to clear out from it after 15months use. My heart rate is now normal, constipation is gone, twitching, muscle pain, headaches all gone. But anxiety is slowly creeping back which is not good. This is my experience, but you may be a lucky with it. Wish you all the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.