Inscison not healing

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I tried to look to see if this was already posted by others but wasn't finding it. It's been 6weeks since my ORIF surgery to repair my tibia and fibula. My incision over my tibia is almost completely healed, just a couple small.scabs. however the one over.my fibula is still very raw looking and appears to be open or wide I guess. This seems odd to me. How long should it take to close/heal? Anyone else have issues with inscisons not healing?

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had fun n fib original surgery on my left leg the outside wound did seem a narrower scar and has healed that way it did seem quicker as well

My right side did seem wider it's healed now the top and bottom of the scar are narrow but the middle is a wide scar with a dent in it the doc said if it's still looks pink the scar is still healing from the inside it's been 12 months on the 11 march but I'm walking good again good luck it just takes time and patience mine took longer as I had another operation to remove the plate and screws as the were rubbing me

• Posted

Sorry I should have said I'm dawn but it signs me in with my dad's name Kenneth good luck

• Posted

Alissa,

Did you by any chance have any bone grafts or any metal put into your leg?  I had foot and ankle surgery and had 3 large incisions.  Two healed beautifully and the one over the bone graft and screws reopened and took up to the 9th week to heal.  The doctor told me our bodies can try to reject the bone grafts and metal and it causes a reaction inside that pushed fluids up causing the incisions to open.  He said this can be quite common for these issues and at my physical therapy I have met several other people this has happened to.  My doctor would have me change the dressings every day to every other day when it happened and he showed me how to apply adaptic and betadyne and I had prescription topical antibiotics and then had to redress it and rewrap it.  He would run a culture ever week and send it to a lab to ensure there was no infection.  I suggest letting your doctor know right away so you can treat it properly and not continue to delay the healing.  

• Posted

I do have a bunch of metal but no grafts luckily. The last time saw my surgeon I had steri-strips over my incisions and was told they will fall off on their own in about a week. 3 weeks later they were still stuck on good. I saw my primary doctor who decided to remove the steri-strips on the inside inscison due to possible infection but everything underneath looked fine and told me to leave the others on because they looked fine. Last week (5weeks post-op) I called and asked I I could take the strip's off because they itched horribly. I was told I could and that they were very surprised that they were still on. After gently taking them off I found out the inscison is still open so I called doc but he doenst want to see me until my apt. next week because it doesn't appear to be infected. Right now I'm just keeping it covered and changing the dressing dialy and as needed due to drainage.

• Posted

I had a similar thing after my surgery last April - the incision on my inner ankle (where the pins are) healed fine but the incision on my outer anckle (where there's a plate and screws) opened up and took a long time to heal - I've had ongoing trouble from infections so I'd def suggest getting your doctor to keep a close eye on it, I'm waiting to have all the metal work removed which will hopefully solve the problem. Good luck with your recovery x

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. I see my doctor on Wednesday and he said he'll look at it then since I said I'm not concerned that it's infected. It's just not healing like the inside incision. Dr. previously said that the plan is for. me to keep all of the hardware (plate and screws on the outside and pins on the inside). Hopefully getting the metal removed helps you. It's always reassuring to know that others have.similar experiences or troubles.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.