Insomnia and myoclonus following exercise

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hey everyone, I'm a 37 year old male who has been training on-and-off for the last 20 years or so. That is to say, I have periods where I train quite regularly for a couple of months, periods where I train only a little, and periods where I don't train at all. Last autumn, I was sort of in the middle category, then by December, I ramped my training schedule up quite a bit, though not to an excessive degree, and not any faster / more intensely than I have done many times before.

When I upped my training volume in the past, I would sometimes have difficulty falling asleep, but it was never too drastic and usually went away once I adjusted to the new training regimen. This time, though, I started getting serious insomnia, to the point where I couldn't fall asleep until 4, 5 or even 6 am. When I finally did fall asleep, my body would not prevent me from staying asleep for a solid 8-10 hours, though of course my schedule often would.

After a couple of days of this, I also developed brief, intense and unintentional muscle jerks (myoclonus) whenever I entered a state of relaxation (i.e. mostly when trying to fall asleep). I laid off the training completely when this happened, and the myoclonus disappeared and the insomnia at least got better within a week or so. However, now, whenever I try to pick up any kind of exercise routine again, I get the same issues. It doesn't happen if I stick to extremely low intensity exercise, but if it is even moderately exhausting, especially for 2 or more days in a row, I am lying in bed, unable to sleep, with my arms and legs performing these jerking motions every couple of seconds, for hours on end. Needless to say, this is extremely frustrating, as I love working out, but basically can't do it any more because it screws up my nervous system so badly.

I did get blood work, which, of course, came back completely fine. I have tried multivitamins, fish oil and magnesium supplements to no avail. I also eat healthy, don't do drugs and rarely drink. Mind you, I was taking a MAO-inhibitor for depression when this first started. However, I had been working out on the MAOi previously without these problems, and the problems now persist despite my having discontinued the MAOi, so it may not even have had anything to do with the MAOi at all.

Googling this, I found pretty much nothing that could explain my problems, so my confidence that a doctor would be able to help is very low, since in my experience, if you are having a rare kind of health complication, unless you get really lucky with your physician, they almost never know what it is or what to do about it, either. So I'm posting this here in the hope that someone else might have had a similar experience and perhaps found a solution to it.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.