insomnia since 2012, I´m 27 and have tried about everything.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 27 and have been suffering from insomnia for 4 years... For 2 years I almost never got more than 2-4 hours of sleep per night.. 

I tried all natural remedies like  hypnotheraphy, acupunture, exercising a lot, but nothing started to really improve until I started taking antidepressants. I am not depressed but they helped me sleep. 

Then those stopped working and the dr was hesitant but moved me onto sleep aids like Ziploclone. Then I got addicted and now they don´t work either. Doctor has suggested switching between meds and also taking anti anxiety pills (bromazepam) as my case is quite serious. 

I still try to work out as often as possible, I rarely drink alcohol, and almost never have caffeine. I drink herbal infusions and use aromatherapy to help my anxiety.  I regulate my intake of meds as much as possible and can fall asleep naturally once a month or so. When I do manage to sleep, I can sleep quite well and I have lucid and vivid dreams. 

The problem is that the insomnia always comes back and seems to be at worst a week or two before my period. 

For me the problem starts to improve and then it gets bad again. 

It definitely hurts my mood, makes me anxious and gives me headaches. Sometimes I feel like a zombie and get very depressed. 

Any insights?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You poor, poor thing. You sound just like I have been for most of my life. I too have tried everything. But just wondering, if as you say, it is worse in the 1-2 weeks before your period, have you tried going on the pill?
    • Posted

Hey so sorry for the late reply, I have not logged on here.

Yes I am on the pill and have been for a year now and have noticed no difference really.

I also have a bladder disease called interstitial cystitis which is also worse around my period time. Thinking they might be linked somehow.

What´s your story? How do you manage?

• Posted

Have you tried acupuncture? A friend of mine got into serious trouble with insomnia a few years back - hardly slept at all for about a year. She tried everything - medication, herbal remedies, yoga, homeopathy, hypnotherapy etc. - to no avail. She finally tried acupuncture. I think it took at least half a dozen sessions but she finally turned it round and now sleeps well.
    • Posted

Sorry - read it again and saw that you have indeed tried acupuncture!
    • Posted

Thanks and sorry for the delayed reaction. I love acupuncture. I sleep when I´m there but once I leave I can´t get back to sleep. 
  • Posted

Hi denisita

I am the same way i have been having problems sleeping i tried 1mg of melatonin last night at 7 with my ativan fell asleep but woke up around 9 so i took another 1mg to see if it would get me through the night with a 1/2 an ativan i was restless and up all night with little sleep I am at my ends rope here I am getting angry irritated and everything. Psychic meds do not help and the HRTs do not help they elevate my blood pressure and my heart races 

i am in menopause and just been having problems sleeping 

• Posted

I´m sorry for the late reply. Also sorry to hear this.

Hope things are getting better. For me it´s a constant struggle that always comes back. Just one I think it´s improving I wake up after finally falling asleep for 20 min. I wake up at least 5-7 times a night. 

Valium is like the only thing that consistantly helps, but I don´t want to take it any more. And antidepressants make me gain weight and have horrible bags under my eyes...

• Posted

Meditate

Regular meditation may be a powerful tool for some insomniacs

Try some easy yoga poses 

like Seated Twist, Cross-Legged Bend, Seated Forward Bend,Knees-to-Chest Pose,Reclining Big-Toe Hold

Warm milk

You can put a tasty spin on your grandmother’s natural insomnia remedy by sipping warm milk before bed.

• Posted

Have you tried a healthspa place? I mean just somewhere where they have a sauna, steam rooms, plunge and a jacuzzi. I find these help tire me out. Is there one anywhere near where you live that you could visit regularly? A turkish baths is ideal too, although I know it's less likely you know of one nearby to you. They usually have alternate days for men and women to accommodate your needs or a mixed day if you prefer. I usually find I would like to get straight into bed for a long. deep sleep when I come out of these places and I only wish I could do! Give it a try, look one up on the internet if you're unsure where the nearest one to you is. Hopefully you'll sleep like a log and it needn't cost you much either as most of them are inclusive in swimming and gym memberships, so you can usually access them for next to nothing really. They normally open from early in the morning until 9 or 10pm at night which would be a plus for you too and the added bonus if you did happen to feel like swim or using the gym beforehand it'd be there for you. You could go there in the evening, spend 2 or three hours in the sauna etc... and go straight to bed when you get home. Give it a try if you can make the time, you've nothing to lose have you? Best of luck, Yvonne.
    • Posted

Thank you unfortunately I live in France and those are very expensive luxuries here. I am doing a Masters and also work and have little time and money. 

Once this semester is over, I will try and find somewhere to go like that. 

The weird thing is, I´m really not stressed. I feel fine. I just can´t get a constant rythm going. My body only let´s me sleep for short amounts of time and between odd hours - usually in the morning from 5am to 8 am. It´s really weird. 

My eyes constantly hurt and I cannot get comfortable in bed. I am so comfy in bed at first and then my ear hurts or I have to pee or something itches. Everything bothers me, but only in bed. 

On a daily basis I am pretty laid back and also active. I go to the gym and get a good workout 2-3 times a week and other days I walk a lot. 

I have also been diagnosed with a bladder disease Interstitial Cystitis, and one doctor thinks I have endometriosis

I think maybe my sleep and bladder problems are linked somehow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.