Interminable itch

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this exhausting Post Herpetic Itch over my eye, forehead, temple, scalp and cheek? It is only just about manageable during the day but at night it is awful. None of the pain killing meds make any difference at all. I have had it for about 3 weeks now.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi

I had shingles (right eye, forehead, scalp and temple) over Christmas and have been dealing with the aftermath from early January. I find this forum very depressing, with many relating an experience of severe and long standing symptoms, often little relieved with large doses of hard core prescription medications: it is not a path I wish to follow. I have read research suggesting that the pain and itch of phn can be substantially reduced after four weeks of subcutaneous b12 and b1 injections: I have been doing this for over two weeks. I was interested to find others who had tried this, but have thus far found none. Does it help me? I am improving, and seem to be getting sensory function returning where I have injected, but I can't be certain whether I would not have improved anyway. B1 seems to help my itch, but I find injecting too painful in areas of partial nerve function: I can only inject it in numb areas.

As for your itch. I can vouch for ice packs and have read of someone finding a glass of water very helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.