Interpreting MRI results for back pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

What does the following mean in plain English please?!

There is minor straightening of the normal lumbar lordosis. Moderate disc desiccation and associated loss of disc height at L4/5 and L5-S1. There is minor established type II Modic endplate change across L4/5 and L5-S1. Vertebral alignment is otherwise maintained.

At L4/5 there is a small right paracentral disc protrusion on a background of a circumferential bulge. This minimally narrows the right lateral recess without impingement.

At L5-S1 there is a minor circumferential disc bulge without evidence of neural compromise.

Canal dimensions are maintained throughout the lumbar spine. The imaged lower cord, conus medullaris and cauda equine return normal signal.

There is mild-to-moderate joint space narrowing at the facet joints bilaterally at L4/5 and L5-S1.

There is mild joint space narrowing at both sacro-iliac joints, more evident on the left. There is no evidence of erosive change or sacro-ilitis.

No evidence of neural compromise. Mid disc dessication, loss of disc heights and associated mild endplate change across L4/5 and L5/S1. Mild to moderate facet joint space narrowing at L4/5 and L5/S1. Mild sacro-iliac joint space narrowing bilaterally, more evident on the left.

Sorry that was a bit long winded!!

Many thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

From what I know from my own MRIs, you have degenerative disc disease over the two levels L4/L5 to L5/S1. Lordosis means that you spine/vertebrae are slightly out of alignment.

Sounds like you have bulging or slipped discs at those two levels but only one sounds like it is pinching nerves. Your SI joint actually sounds like some arthritis is set in on one side.

The end plate stuff I have no idea about.

From this I would guess you have pain in your lower back and hip, pain down one or both legs from your buttock down to your foot or in between.

What did the consultant say was the likely way forward??

• Posted

Thanks :-) I've been offered the injections (like epidural I think?) but I'm not sure whether to go ahead or not. I read that there is only a 50/50 chance that they will help.
  • Posted

It looks like you have a healthy spine, in every way. That's one of the best reports I've seen. "without evidence, maintained, mild, moderate" these are almost perfect findings. Everyone has these changes but most in much more drastic ways, but even they cannot cause pain.(unless you are paralyzed, or have lost bowel and bladder function. The most important thing you did was to get cheked out, good job. Now it's time to get rid of the pain forever.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.